• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: 2013 Candy and Confection Workshop, April 27-28

Kerry Beal

What time should we get to the college Saturday morning?

8:30. There will be breakfast stuff so no need to eat first.

I have asked Chris Hennes to send out a PM with my cell number and e-mail on it.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

What time should we get to the college Saturday morning?

8:30. There will be breakfast stuff so no need to eat first.

I have asked Chris Hennes to send out a PM with my cell number and e-mail on it.

Wonderful! So looking forward to this, glad this week is finally here!

Mobile phone woes probably resolved!

Thanks for all the tips. I have two unlocked GSM handsets; at least one should be compatible with the PetroCanada Mobility system, which looks like the best budgetary option for me.

I don't know the number yet, of course, but should have something to exchange once we all get together.

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

I'll arrive at my hotel in Niagara Falls proper (too good a deal to pass up for the Garden Inn) on Thursday evening. I very much want to go on the ChocolateFX tour; is the plan just to meet there at 10:30?

In a similar vein, I'll have to have dinner Friday, and will happily join if there's a group. Left to my own devices I'll probably plump for The Merchant Ale House.

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

Kerry, I can bring some ingredients if you think they might be useful: feuilletine, hazelnut praline paste, yuzu marmalade, some raspberry compound flavouring, semi-sweet truffle shells, invert sugar (I bought a 5-kilo bucket a while ago).

I have more than I can use of all of these ingredients, so would be glad to bring them along if you think we can experiment with them. Please let me know.

Turns out we have feuilletine and praline paste thanks to callebaut - a couple less things you'll need to drag along!

I'll arrive at my hotel in Niagara Falls proper (too good a deal to pass up for the Garden Inn) on Thursday evening. I very much want to go on the ChocolateFX tour; is the plan just to meet there at 10:30?

In a similar vein, I'll have to have dinner Friday, and will happily join if there's a group. Left to my own devices I'll probably plump for The Merchant Ale House.

Yup - but make it 10 for ChocolateFX.

We'll probably figure out Friday dinner sometime Friday!

Kerry, I can bring some ingredients if you think they might be useful: feuilletine, hazelnut praline paste, yuzu marmalade, some raspberry compound flavouring, semi-sweet truffle shells, invert sugar (I bought a 5-kilo bucket a while ago).

I have more than I can use of all of these ingredients, so would be glad to bring them along if you think we can experiment with them. Please let me know.

Turns out we have feuilletine and praline paste thanks to callebaut - a couple less things you'll need to drag along!

Ok, perfect! A lighter load sounds good, especially since I now have another kind of "luggage" to carry around. :smile:

What room we are meeting in for the show and tell?

Ok, perfect! A lighter load sounds good, especially since I now have another kind of "luggage" to carry around. :smile:

What room we are meeting in for the show and tell?

Show and tell around 7:30. What time are you arriving?

Ok - so ChocolateFX at 10 am, dinner when we get around to it, Show and Tell at 7:30 in the evening in the Walden Room at the hotel. BYOB - but sneak it in! And bring a tumbler from your room. I shall endeavour to remember to bring a corkscrew.

I have the finalized menu for Saturday dinner from Dave - still no idea how much we are paying for it though! I think around $40 each unless the meat costs are a whole lot higher than my gestimates.

Mario Pingue - assorted charcuterie platter (these guys make the world's most amazing prosciutto)

Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup (he was threatening to make a different soup - I wouldn't let him!)

Roast Prime Ribs of Beef au Jus

Roast Ontario Leg of Lamb with mint sauce

Roast Capon with Cranberry Sauce

Oven Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes

Seasonal Veg

Salads - Caesar, Tomato, Tarragon

Keith Ellis's (New Broom) Special Bread with Fresh Butter

Assorted Pickles and Olives

Assorted Cheese, fruit, crackers and nuts

Dessert by Chef Storm (he mentioned something with passion fruit and dacquoise)

DianeM
YetiChocolates
FrogPrincesse
dhardy123
tikidoc +1 or more
RobertM
mkayahara
Matthew Hayday
Kyle - now 15
lironp
prabha
Chocolot
MelissaH +1
lebowitz +1 - I'll have the reactine waiting!
curls +1
Genkiaonna
AnnieWilliams
Art and Wilma

psantucc

Alleguede - likely just Sunday

CacaoFlower

New Broom (one of the profs from Niagara college)

merlicky

chocoera

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells
Emily_R + 1
jmk

Will be missed

Mette
Beth Wilson

Mjx

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N
Kerry Beal
RobertM
curls + 1
YetiChocolates
dhardy123
DianeM
Chocolot
FrogPrincesse +2
lebowitz +1
mkayahara
Matthew Hayday
lironp
prahba +1
MelissaH +1
psantucc

sarahdwyer

Art and Wilma

tikidoc +?

CacaoFlower +1
merlicky +1

chocoera

I'm so excited and nervous at the same time!

I won't be able to make it for the ChocolateFX tour. I hope to be there for the show and tell.

So we start at 8:30 both morning, and do we get a break for lunch? If so, at what time? And what time will be the Saturday dinner?

I'm only asking because I'll be traveling with a family member and she is only attending the dinner ( therefore taking the car), so I need to tell her what the schedule is like.

former CacaoFlower.