• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: 2013 Candy and Confection Workshop, April 27-28

Kerry Beal

Not Tomric this year. We are going to ChocolateFX. I was there today and confirmed with Wilma that 10 am would work. We will tour the facility and make something in the little panner.

We have the room at the hotel for our show and tell from 7 pm.

I'm in the midst of my vacation prep run-up, and realized I never made a request or suggestion for the topics that have me going lately - textures of cooked sweets. I've never managed a satisfactory halvah texture, I have a hard time getting some of my caramels to crystallise properly (high acid, but lots of precautions - still too flowy) and the exact right time to stop agitating fudge eludes me.

I know, chocolate is the sexy part - and I'm not trying to skimp it! - but I'd be thrilled to play with any other devotees of the technically correct "candy".

Ah, who am I kiddin'. I'm thrilled anyway.

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

10 AM is also too early for me and my friend. But we'll be there for the show and tell.

We'll be looking for somewhere to eat dinner before that, preferably not too expensive. Anyone got ideas? Anyone want to join us?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

We'll have to find some place for Friday night dinner - thinking maybe the Japanese place in Niagara Falls or perhaps we could go to Ravine Winery.

Bummer! My flight doesn't arrive until 10:17 Friday morning so I to will be missing the Chocolate FX tour. I also wanted to see if anyone was in need of a mauviel copper sugar pot? It's a 1.5 Qt and I'll bring it along if anyone wants to take it off my hands for $40 American dollars. Let me know if you're interested.

Really excited to meet and work with everyone!

Mobile phone tips?

I face a problem I did not expect, and other US mobile phone customers may be in a similar situation. To safely keep my usual mobile on and active while in Canada for the weekend, I'd have to spend $70 - but my situation is made worse by the fact that the device is owned by my employer, and there is no way for the carrier to bill me. In short. I don't think it possible for me to use that phone during the conference.

I'd like to have a mobile phone for road safety, emergency calls from home, and co-ordination with my fellow attendees. Anyone here have experience with a short-term cheap solution that would fill those needs?

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

I have now got a T-mobile that I use when I'm in the US - every time I would go there with Bell it would cost me $100 just to go - then 'reduced minute charge' if I actually used it. T-mobile costs me $3 a day, unlimited talk, text and data. Can't beat that!

I suspect there are throw aways available here too (I think Petrocanada sells them) and perhaps the duty free shop would carry such a thing.

Hi psantucc!

If your phone works with a SIM card, and is unlocked, then you can just buy a prepaid SIM card from Canada. Like Kerry said, gas stations usually sell them. This is an example of a pre-paid plan from Bell: http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Products/30_Pay_Per_Use

Mind you, I don't know how much it would cost you to call the US (long distance fees listed on the website apply to Canada only), I can look it up if the SIM card option is a viable one for you. Other carriers (Rogers or Telus) might have other options, check out their websites.

If your phone is locked (which it may be, since it's a business phone), then you have the option of buying a cheap phone from here and getting a pre-paid plan to go with it. I have no idea how much throw aways cost, maybe someone else can give you this information.

If you have a smartphone, you can use an app like ePhone from Comwave, Fongo or Skype to make calls for cheap, but the downside is you can only use them where wireless is available for free (so they would be useless for road safety, for example).

If anyone is willing, I'd be happy to see a demo for the recipe for the reverse engineered Jaques Genin caramels

They were the best caramels I have ever tasted, and I certainly haven't managed to get such a texture on my own..

Who would like to teach this one?

Mobile phone tips?

I face a problem I did not expect, and other US mobile phone customers may be in a similar situation. To safely keep my usual mobile on and active while in Canada for the weekend, I'd have to spend $70 - but my situation is made worse by the fact that the device is owned by my employer, and there is no way for the carrier to bill me. In short. I don't think it possible for me to use that phone during the conference.

I'd like to have a mobile phone for road safety, emergency calls from home, and co-ordination with my fellow attendees. Anyone here have experience with a short-term cheap solution that would fill those needs?

I have ATT and called them to ask what to do. They told me to turn data roaming off but keep the phone on. I will not answer the phone as it will cost $1 per minute. I also have turned off voice mail as it will cost $1 per minute even if I don't listen to it. I bought an international text plan for all of $2 that will give me 50 text messages while there.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I'm on Verizon for my mobile phone needs, and I know that in the right parts of Niagara Falls (mainly in view of the river) it's possible to pick up an American tower. As long as you're picking up an American tower, your phone doesn't care that it's across the border. So if you're concerned about racking up international charges on a U.S. phone, keep it off but once a day, drive somewhere there's a clear view across.

That said, text messages to and from Canada (for me, anyway) are covered on my plan. YMMV.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

If anyone is willing, I'd be happy to see a demo for the recipe for the reverse engineered Jaques Genin caramels

They were the best caramels I have ever tasted, and I certainly haven't managed to get such a texture on my own..

Who would like to teach this one?

I searched the house last night for my sorbital - it's not something I can get here - could someone bring some for this demo? I have purchased the NOW brand in health food type stores before.