• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: 2013 Candy and Confection Workshop, April 27-28

Kerry Beal

Just caught back up, and unless it's too late or massive finacnce collapse hits - I'm in. Coming to the workshop, and very much looking forward. Put me down for Saturday dinner as well.

I know, based on my posting rate the past year I was dead as far as you could tell. I'm going to post some photos and descriptions of the few things I've done in the next few days.

Thanks for organizing!

Pat

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

DianeM

YetiChocolates

AnythingButPlainChocolate

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

lebowitz +1 - I'll have the reactine waiting!

curls +2

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

Art and Wilma

psantucc

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells

Emily_R + 1

nicole from chocotransfersheets.com

Mjx +1

jmk

CacaoFlower

Will be missed

Mette

Beth Wilson

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N

Kerry Beal

RobertM

curls + 2

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

DianeM

Chocolot

FrogPrincesse

lebowitz +1

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

lironp

prahba (90%)

sarahdwyer

MelissaH +1

psantucc

sarahdwyer

Hey veteran workshop goers! Was curious for the show and tell on the first night, how many chocolates/confections do you generally make and in what quantities? Just trying to decide what to make and how much to bring with me :biggrin:

No rules! In the past couple of years we all seem to have brought far more than we needed to. I probably brought a couple of dozen of one or two types that I was thrilled with or wanted others to try.

Oh yeah - and bring containers that hold chocolates well to take things home with you.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

• 2 weeks later...

DianeM
YetiChocolates
FrogPrincesse
dhardy123
tikidoc +1 or more
Viktoria
RobertM
Tri2Cook
ElsieD
mkayahara
Matthew Hayday
Kyle - now 15
lironp
prabha
Darienne
Chocolot
Fran
Kathy
Nonpareil
MelissaH +1
sarahdwyer
curls +1
Genkiaonna
AnnieWilliams
Art and Wilma

psantucc

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells
Emily_R + 1
Mjx +1
jmk
CacaoFlower

Will be missed

Mette
Beth Wilson

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N
Kerry Beal
RobertM
curls + 1
YetiChocolates
dhardy123
DianeM
Chocolot
FrogPrincesse
lebowitz +1
mkayahara
Matthew Hayday
lironp
prahba (90%)
sarahdwyer
MelissaH +1
psantucc

sarahdwyer

Lironp has generously agreed to demo for us a couple of the things she learned at the Frederic Hawecker's chocolate and confections course, in the Barry Calebaut chicago chocolate academy. We are holding out for the mousse ganache, PDF in the TMX, perhaps licorice in the TMX, praline in the TMX +/or speculous cookies to be used the praline base for a ganache.

Anyone interested in taking home a TMX - let me know. They aren't shipping to the US anymore - I'm sure Nathalie would send them to me to deliver to folks who wanted to drive them home across the border.

Also let me know if you want an IR thermometer from Canadian Tire - I've picked up a few when the've been on sale for $40 in case folks want to take them home again this year.

I've started accumulating the vintage heating plates and will get some Ikea dimmer switches to go with them - they will be available at cost if anyone needs to take one home (we use them to keep coloured cocoa butter warm if we aren't blessed with a dehydrator).

Spoke with the Thermomix folks - apparently any March Thermomix purchasers get a travel bag for free. Makes it easier to take across the border!

Could I get an idea of what equipment people are bringing along? I have 2 - 6 kg mold'art melters and 1- 3 kg mold'art (I actually have a 3 kg caloribac melter - but it can't be trusted). Folks have brought along their little Hilliards and other mold'arts in the past - so I'd like to figure out how much tempering power we will have. Also airbrushes etc.

Also - folks who are demo-ing things - could you send along ingredient lists.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Kerry -- do you need a dehydrator? I've got a 9-tray Excalibur I could bring...

I know that Steve uses one to keep his cocoa butter warm - so bring it along!

DianeM

YetiChocolates

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

curls +1

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

Art and Wilma

psantucc

Alleguede - likely just Sunday

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells

Emily_R + 1

Mjx +1

jmk

CacaoFlower

Will be missed

Mette

Beth Wilson

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N

Kerry Beal

RobertM

curls + 1

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

DianeM

Chocolot

FrogPrincesse

lebowitz +1

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

lironp

prahba (90%)

sarahdwyer

MelissaH +1

psantucc

sarahdwyer

DianeM

YetiChocolates

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

curls +1

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

Art and Wilma

psantucc

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells

Emily_R + 1

Mjx +1

jmk

CacaoFlower

Will be missed

Mette

Beth Wilson

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N

Kerry Beal

RobertM

curls + 1

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

DianeM

Chocolot

FrogPrincesse

lebowitz +1

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

lironp

prahba (90%)

sarahdwyer

MelissaH +1

psantucc

sarahdwyer

Lironp has generously agreed to demo for us a couple of the things she learned at the Frederic Hawecker's chocolate and confections course, in the Barry Calebaut chicago chocolate academy. We are holding out for the mousse ganache, PDF in the TMX, perhaps licorice in the TMX, praline in the TMX +/or speculous cookies to be used the praline base for a ganache.

Anyone interested in taking home a TMX - let me know. They aren't shipping to the US anymore - I'm sure Nathalie would send them to me to deliver to folks who wanted to drive them home across the border.

Also let me know if you want an IR thermometer from Canadian Tire - I've picked up a few when the've been on sale for $40 in case folks want to take them home again this year.

I've started accumulating the vintage heating plates and will get some Ikea dimmer switches to go with them - they will be available at cost if anyone needs to take one home (we use them to keep coloured cocoa butter warm if we aren't blessed with a dehydrator).

Hey Kerry, went on the Thermomix website and couldn't find a price, how much do they cost? Also I'd be interested in the IR Thermometer!

Chocovision Sinsation available if you like; no offence taken if not :smile: . I don't use it much myself any more; low capacity and way noisy.

Could I get an idea of what equipment people are bringing along? I have 2 - 6 kg mold'art melters and 1- 3 kg mold'art (I actually have a 3 kg caloribac melter - but it can't be trusted). Folks have brought along their little Hilliards and other mold'arts in the past - so I'd like to figure out how much tempering power we will have. Also airbrushes etc.

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

DianeM
YetiChocolates
FrogPrincesse
dhardy123
tikidoc +1 or more
Viktoria
RobertM
Tri2Cook
ElsieD
mkayahara
Matthew Hayday
Kyle - now 15
lironp
prabha
Darienne
Chocolot
Fran
Kathy
Nonpareil
MelissaH +1
sarahdwyer
curls +1
Genkiaonna
AnnieWilliams
Art and Wilma

psantucc

Sue Casey

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells
Emily_R + 1
Mjx +1
jmk
CacaoFlower

Will be missed

Mette
Beth Wilson

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N
Kerry Beal
RobertM
curls + 1
YetiChocolates
dhardy123
DianeM
Chocolot
FrogPrincesse
lebowitz +1
mkayahara
Matthew Hayday
lironp
prahba (90%)
sarahdwyer
MelissaH +1
psantucc

sarahdwyer

Sue Casey +1

Art and Wilma

Chocovision Sinsation available if you like; no offence taken if not :smile: . I don't use it much myself any more; low capacity and way noisy.

Hold off for now - let's see if anyone is bringing any bigger equipment.

Kerry, I can bring my ACMC tempering unit, my NEW heat gun, infrared thermometer, my infamous caramel pot, and some additional ingredients that attendees could use during our creative sessions, as well as a couple of stone tablets (marble/granite).

Kerry, I can bring my ACMC tempering unit, my NEW heat gun, infrared thermometer, my infamous caramel pot, and some additional ingredients that attendees could use during our creative sessions, as well as a couple of stone tablets (marble/granite).

What happened to your "old" one? :rolleyes:

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

DianeM

YetiChocolates

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

curls +1

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

Art and Wilma

psantucc

Sue Casey

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells

Emily_R + 1

Mjx +1

jmk

CacaoFlower

Will be missed

Mette

Beth Wilson

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N

Kerry Beal

RobertM

curls + 1

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

DianeM

Chocolot

FrogPrincesse

lebowitz +1

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

lironp

prahba (90%)

sarahdwyer

MelissaH +1

psantucc

sarahdwyer

Sue Casey +1

Art and Wilma

Kerry, I can bring some ingredients if you think they might be useful: feuilletine, hazelnut praline paste, yuzu marmalade, some raspberry compound flavouring, semi-sweet truffle shells, invert sugar (I bought a 5-kilo bucket a while ago).

I have more than I can use of all of these ingredients, so would be glad to bring them along if you think we can experiment with them. Please let me know.

Edited by DianaM (log)

Kerry, I can bring some ingredients if you think they might be useful: feuilletine, hazelnut praline paste, yuzu marmalade, some raspberry compound flavouring, semi-sweet truffle shells, invert sugar (I bought a 5-kilo bucket a while ago).

I have more than I can use of all of these ingredients, so would be glad to bring them along if you think we can experiment with them. Please let me know.

Excellent idea!