• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: 2013 Candy and Confection Workshop, April 27-28

Kerry Beal

The timing is really perfect for me, I have to talk to DH and see if he can swing a "work trip" out east and I might actually be able to make this. Hooray!

Shall put you down as a Maybe?

K

Hi Kerry,

I shall not make 2013 as I expect to start a masters course in February, so between this, work and family, long weekends in frozen Niagara will probably not make it to anywhere near the top of list. I'm sure you'll all have a wonderful time.

We'll miss you. Next year I hope?

Moving this over from the report thread on the 2012 conference - noticed I've changed the name to Workshop from Conference as it seems more appropriate to what we get up to. Conference sounds so dry!

Anyway I've already booked the dates with Niagara College - April 27 and 28, 2013. I'm working on a block of rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn - rates will likely be between $109 and $119/night depending on two queen beds vs 1 king. The rates are lower than that for the Wed, Thursday and the Monday after. I won't have definite amounts until the beginning of May.

There is certainly other accommodation available - but I won't be able to do block for that.

I think we can safely say that one of the Friday activities will be a tour of Art and Wilma's new panning facility - they've moved from their very small quarters in to a huge new building and it is a treat to see. I think we'll skip Tomric this time around - but I'm sure people may want to hit there if they are flying into Buffalo.

Are these dates still correct?

I would swear I answered this already - apparently I didn't - yup dates still correct.

No doubt you have.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Count me in, although it's only tentative for now. I have a girlfriend who is getting married "sometime in April or May, or maybe June," and I am not only a bridesmaid but her cake baker. :wacko:

She'll give you a 'definite maybe' about when the wedding will occur? How frustrating!

DianeM

YetiChocolates

AnythingButPlainChocolate

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

patti_h

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH

sarahdwyer

lebowitz +1 - I'll have the reactine waiting!

curls

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

Licensed to: eGullet.org

Copyright © 2001-2012 by the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, All Rights Reserved

ajax_loading.gif

DianeM

YetiChocolates

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

patti_h

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

curls

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

I'm UK based too, but trying to save the pennies for flights etc. It is a source of frustration that chocolate and it's related arts seem to be very accessible across the pond but not so much here.

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

I'm UK based too, but trying to save the pennies for flights etc. It is a source of frustration that chocolate and it's related arts seem to be very accessible across the pond but not so much here.

I think "accessible" is a matter of opinion (and available cash).

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I think "accessible" is a matter of opinion (and available cash).

I would agree. I think it depends on where you're located. I find it pretty inaccessible to find supplies and equipment on the West coast. Most of the places I purchase from are on the East coast...

Kerry,

I am afraid you will have to take me off the list. I know that it is going to be a fantastic event and I will be jealous of everyone who makes it there- we will need a full report! However, it will not be in the budget this year because my husband and I are going to take our first real vacation since our honeymoon 21 years ago. We will be going to Grenada and staying on a cocoa plantation. It won't be until November or December 2013, but we will have to save all our pennies until then!

DianeM

YetiChocolates

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

curls

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

DianeM

YetiChocolates

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

curls +2

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

• 4 weeks later...

We share the costs - so in the past it's worked out to about $150 per person with another $50 for the Saturday dinner - not sure how that will work out this year as Dave, the chef who has cooked for us in the past, has had a stroke and is just getting back to work and doesn't have much stamina yet. When I was speaking to him last week - he wants to do it though if he can get the help he needs to make it happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Kerry,

Is the Niagara College we'll be working at the one that's located close to Niagara Falls, or one of the others? Looking at Google maps there seems to be 3 possible Niagara colleges... Just trying to get my bearings so I can make the proper accommodation reservations without being clear across town from where we'll be meeting up at!

Thanks!