• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: 2013 Candy and Confection Workshop, April 27-28

Kerry Beal

DianeM

YetiChocolates

AnythingButPlainChocolate

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

patti_h

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

DianeM

YetiChocolates

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

patti_h

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

One of the things I noticed this year that getting a smooth back on a mold is a problem for a lot of folks. I think in our "Back to Basics" section next year we should do a clinic on backing off molds. Not sure how this could be accomplished efficiently - because it's all about practice, practice, practice - but I think we should try.

Everyone should bring along the tools they like to use for scraping and we can tailor the technique to their tools.

I'm not going to put my name down because I always put my name down and I never get to go. But I just want to let you know that I'm already jealous, and if I can go next year, I will! (but if I don't have anything to bring to the share thing, can I still share in everyone else's goods? :unsure: )

I'm not going to put my name down because I always put my name down and I never get to go. But I just want to let you know that I'm already jealous, and if I can go next year, I will! (but if I don't have anything to bring to the share thing, can I still share in everyone else's goods? :unsure: )

Of course you can! I happen to know that you can make caramel though - was looking through an old thread yesterday,

DianeM

YetiChocolates

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

patti_h

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Looks like the residence in the college will be available to us - show of hands please - shall I totally skip the Hilton and just arrange a block of rooms at the residence and prebook a room there for our Friday show and tell? Or shall I do a block of rooms at both facilities?

Price for the residences will be $84.95/night plus tax. They are two bedroom suites with a kitchenette and bath. Housekeeping service included.

Link to the site - here.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

If I get a ride there, then residence for me too. This is unlikely alas.

If I come with DH and the two dogs, then it's Motel 6 for us.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

DianeM

YetiChocolates

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

patti_h

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

DianeM

YetiChocolates

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

patti_h

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Looks like I better book a slightly bigger block of rooms.

Of course you can! I happen to know that you can make caramel though - was looking through an old thread yesterday,

As I was typing what I wrote, I was actually thinking (and I'm not kidding), "What would I bring? The only thing I could bring is caramels!"

My poor homely caramels. Or rather, my poor rustic caramels.

I may stay at sisters in Stoney Creek but I might be interested in a room in the residence to avoid traveling back and forth. Then I could enjoy some wine with chocolate on Friday night! Can we decide closer to the conference?

I haven't signed the contract yet - but the fellow said the block prices and reservations will end about 1 month before the conference.

As I was typing what I wrote, I was actually thinking (and I'm not kidding), "What would I bring? The only thing I could bring is caramels!"

My poor homely caramels. Or rather, my poor rustic caramels.

That's all I brought this year (and some of same caramels dipped in chocolate, although those were much less popular than the plain ones).

I was admittedly very intimidated this year, as a real newb to chocolate making, but it turned out to be a fantastic experience. I know that next year, with what I learned, I will likely be able to make something much prettier than my rustic caramels, but I may bring some again next year anyway.

Besides, the leftovers from Friday night could be turned into a wonderful filling on Saturday...

Jess

Jess, your caramels were one of the highlights for me! Plus, you told us where to get yuor "secret" ingredient, which I have ordered.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com