• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: 2013 Candy and Confection Workshop, April 27-28

Kerry Beal

Moving this over from the report thread on the 2012 conference - noticed I've changed the name to Workshop from Conference as it seems more appropriate to what we get up to. Conference sounds so dry!

Anyway I've already booked the dates with Niagara College - April 27 and 28, 2013. I'm working on a block of rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn - rates will likely be between $109 and $119/night depending on two queen beds vs 1 king. The rates are lower than that for the Wed, Thursday and the Monday after. I won't have definite amounts until the beginning of May.

There is certainly other accommodation available - but I won't be able to do block for that.

I think we can safely say that one of the Friday activities will be a tour of Art and Wilma's new panning facility - they've moved from their very small quarters in to a huge new building and it is a treat to see. I think we'll skip Tomric this time around - but I'm sure people may want to hit there if they are flying into Buffalo.

HOST'S NOTE: Click here for the terms under which this event is listed at the eG Forums.

Edited by Chris Hennes
Terms added (log)

Obviously, everything is tentative given how far out this is, but I'm planning to be there. I should be bringing at least one person with me - a couple of people from our office are interested, and if my daughter is still enthusiastic by then, I'll bring her too.

Jess

I'm feeling a bit shy about saying that I (+1) really hope to be in on this, since our plans to make it this year were a complete bust, but I'm feeling hopeful, since the +1 is talking enthusiastically about setting up a fund for this, starting now (among other things, he saw the pictures).

Anyone know what the closest international airport happens to be?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I'm tentatively in as well!

I would love to see some sugar work this time if at all possible! Maybe something to build upon Rob's great showpiece demo? Or making candies, or pulled taffies?

It's just about impossible for me to be definite this early so I'll give a confidently hopeful "I'm in". The date couldn't be much better for the combination of getting away from work and traveling from this area and that gives me plenty of time to practice being in a kitchen with civilized people. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

At this point - I'm going to make everyone pretty definite - it will evolve over time.

DianeM

YetiChocolates

AnythingButPlainChocolate

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

DianeM

YetiChocolates

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

DianeM

YetiChocolates

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

I would like to attend. I am also interested in sugar work. I am going to attempt to make some poured sugar plates this weekend. If I get good enough maybe I could demo that! Looking forward to it already!

DianeM

YetiChocolates

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

patti_h

RuthWells

Anyone know what the closest international airport happens to be?

Correct me if I'm wrong Kerry, but looks like Buffalo NY.

That would be correct. Toronto is the closest Canadian international airport - although flights come in to Hamilton from other Canadian cities.

DianeM

YetiChocolates

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD