• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Fish (Your favorite)

Fat Guy

The question is: what is the best fish?

Needless to say the answer will vary on context, such as geography and whether it's being cooked.

I'll start: I think if you live in New York City and want cooked fish the best fish is wild striped bass.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Living in the Pacific Northwest, you would probably assume I would say Salmon. While I love our wild Salmon, my favorite fish is Alaskan Black Cod. Canadians often refer to it as Sablefish. It has a buttery flavor and soft, yet meaty texture--think of halibut but much richer.

Black Cod is very versatile in terms of preparation, but I like it lightly smoked, then baked in the oven and served in an Asian style broth with mushrooms.

Since I live on what basically amounts to an island (you have to cross a bridge at some point no matter which way you come into or leave from town) surrounded by lakes full of walleye that attract a large tourist business every year, I guess I'll go with that for my answer. Especially since quality fresh fish that doesn't come from the local lakes is almost impossible to get most of the time.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Have to agree with the walleye. I never imagined a fresh water fish could be that good. But then we were pulling them out of the dam effluent in Pierre S. Dakota and deep frying them within an hour or two. Beyond good,

Freshwater: Copper River salmon, without a doubt.

Salt: Spanish Mackeral

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

The question is: what is the best fish?

Needless to say the answer will vary on context, such as geography and whether it's being cooked.

I'll start: I think if you live in New York City and want cooked fish the best fish is wild striped bass.

Striped bass is rockfish in DC/Chesapeake area parlance, and I quite agree! They grill up brilliantly.

What's the walleye comparable to in taste? I've never had the opportunity to try any.

Mild, flakey, kind of like I remember haddock years ago in Connecticut (the breaded and deep fried seafood capital of the world).

What's the walleye comparable to in taste? I've never had the opportunity to try any.

Mild, flakey, kind of like I remember haddock years ago in Connecticut (the breaded and deep fried seafood capital of the world).

Very mild and honestly probably wouldn't be my pick for "best" if I lived in an area where a variety of good fresh fish was available but I have to include "what I can get" as part of my criteria.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1. Whiting - has the most delicate texture and flavor, like eating crabs.

2. Skate - wonderful.

3. The absolute best - go to a Chinese restaurant, pick a live one from the tank. Steamed with plenty of garlic, ginger, soy and scallions.

dcarch

Whatever is the localest, freshest, best looking fish in the market..with one caveat; I now only buy fish recognized as sustainable and/or wild caught.

And if it's farmed, it has to be farmed properly. That is, nothing from a tank in Chinatown.

If you're eating "local" wild striped bass in NYC at this time of the year, here's a tip: either it's not wild, or it's not local, as the NY State season runs from July to December.

Actually, I just did a little more research - in NY State, the wild striped bass fishery is currently closed (as is the black sea bass fishery)...

Commercial Fishing NY State limits

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Freshwater: Copper River salmon, without a doubt.

Salt: Spanish Mackeral

Spanish Mackerel is great cooked and sashimi....really like that

Copper River Salmon here in KS is great fresh but $35/lb, so I usually just get a little 4oz portion.

Fresh river trout while in Colorado is a favorite as well

If you're eating wild striped bass in NJ that you bought at your favorite local store, you're in violation of the law and if the store gets caught selling wild striped bass you may need to find a new favorite fish store. Even if, as an amateur fisherman,you caught the fish yourself and were within the limit but had an extra fish, you can't sell it. A local bait and tackle store owner told me that what some amateur fishermen do is give the fish to a chef who then cooks it for them for their dinner. The only wild striped bass filet I've had in years came off the back of a neighbor's pickup who'd been out fishing for the day.

Just recently there was an article in the paper about one of those charter boats that take people out on ocean for a days fishing. Apparently they were catching out of season black sea bass right and left. What they didn't know was that NJ DEP officers were mingling with them, and over 3 dozen summonses were handed out, 800 out of season black sea bass were confiscated and the captain of the boat is under investigation.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Scamp (Abadejo) is my favorite but it's very hard to get because the fishermen often keep it for themselves around here. I would eat it every day if I could.

I also love King Salmon and Patagonian Toothfish.

It is considered a trash fish, but I love amberjack. Great taste and texture that stands up to any cooking method.

I agree on taste and texture but you do not want to clean too many Jacks yourself if you would like to continue wanting to eat them.