• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roe, caviar that is not caviar, eggses, et al.

ChrisTaylor

I'm going to go right out and say that, so far as I'm concerned, salmon and ocean trout roe are superior products to caviar. Not just in a bang-for-buck sense. But in the sense if I could buy both for exactly the same price, I'd go the salmon/trout route every time. Wonderful stuff. But there's a product I've yet to experience that I see avaliable damn near everywhere: the unfortunately-named lumpfish roe. Is this something I want to try? Or is it just cheap shit (which, really, on a per-jar level, is only a couple of dollars cheaper than some very nice salmon/trout roe?)?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Lumpfish roe in a jar as you find it in the supermarket tends to be waaaaaaaaaaay oversalted crap, but it's what I ate until I grew up and discovered ossetra and salmon caviar. The farmed lumpfish is pretty good, but I agree that salmon gives you the biggest taste reward, especially if not oversalted.

V