• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza screens

Fat Guy

What pizza-dough recipe are you using?

750g hgf

1 T table salt

1 T sugar

1 T olive oil

1 tsp instant yeast

470g very cold tap water

30 seconds (running time, some fiddling is required) in my food processor w/plastic blade till smooth.

Divide into 3 ~ 430g balls and placed into individual oiled Tupperware.

I leave them out at room temperature for one hour, then place them in the fridge for at least two days. The dough is used straight from the fridge ( i.e. cold). The last ball is used as long as a week later.

Yes, you can put toppings on the dough while it is on the screen, and yes this is hard to do once the pizza is on the stone. But who does that? Who puts toppings on the dough once it's on the hot stone?

LOL. People who want to burn the shit out of their hands and arms perhaps?

And I don't get the whole no need for preheating when using a screen. That's bs. Any standard home oven (including the Crapmaster 9000) needs to be preheated for at least 30 minutes or more to get up to proper temp.

I've "modified" my Bosch gas oven to where I can get the stone and walls up to around 600 F. Between playing with that and the broiler, I get a pretty nice pie in aabout 5 minutes. Perfect? No. But way better than 99% of the pizzerias even here in NYC.

Pizza Napolitana Broiler_1.jpg

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I tried a pizza screen once and the pizza was almost impossible to get off and cleaning was worse.

Now I use parchment paper AND the screen AND a stone.

I put parchment on the screen, make the pizza, then slide the pizza (on the parchment) onto the stone.

Screen stays out of the oven.

When the pizza is done, slide the pizza back out onto the screen.

I've owned and used both screens and a pizza stone.

I prefer the results from the screen and sticking has not been an issue as long as I don't let the topped pizza sit around on the screen prior to getting it into the oven.

This translates into stretching the dough into pizza shape on my counter, *gently* getting it onto the screen, topping it and *immediately* putting it into the (preheated) oven.

In our 1950's craptastic electric oven the pizza's get done in 5-7 minutes.

• Like 1

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--