• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Middle East groceries

Earlier today I made a run to the Middle Eastern store here in Lancaster to pick up some needed supplies.

Here's a photo of some of the goodies.

Middle East groceries.JPG

The cucumbers are "Israeli" cucumbers and I think they are very similar to the ones Hassouni pictured in his blog photos.

There is also Feta cheese(Greek) and Haloumi cheese, za'atar, Aleppo pepper andd ground caraway in the photo.

(I bought a few other things but nothing special among them.

I have some lovely hothouse romaine, grown by a friend who has a huge greenhouse and is currently "drowning" in green stuff - I am happy to take it off his hands. (He has to clear out some room for more seedlings for veggie plants.)

Now I'm going to comb through my recipes and see what I can do with these things.

(The za'atar is Jordanian as they were sold out of the Lebanese. They had Syrian but I was told this one was closer to the Lebanese recipe and suggested I add some additional thyme.)

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I began using Aleppo pepper back in the mid-1980s when I lived across the street from a "blended" family from Cyprus/Turkey, and it was very difficult to find, I would go on shopping excursions with them to stores in ethnic enclaves.

I was given a few recipes and taught how to make a version of mahammara in which to dip pita or crudites, or ??? they made soft pretzels for dipping.

I explored more recipes when I got Paula Wolfert's book about Eastern Mediterranean foods (1994).

It's not as hot as the common crushed red pepper flakes and the seeds are removed before the treated and dried peppers are ground - it tastes a little bit salty/sweet, with a hint of smoke and if you use enough, there is a lemony aftertaste - I think lemon juice is used in the curing with salt. But I'm not totally sure.

I decided to stock up because of the problems in Syria, which much of it is produced, although this is sourced from Turkey - the shop owner believes prices are going to go up soon on it and other commodities from that area.

It can be used any where you would use red pepper flakes, if you like eggplant, you will not believe what a little of this pepper, cooked briefly in oil, can do to it. Better than candy. (I love eggplant.)

It's wonderful on cheese, in omelets or just on eggs, mix with oil and rub all over chicken pieces before cooking in the oven, use less salt, because this is just a bit salty.

It also does wonders for bean, both fresh green and dried - or any pulse.

Perhaps it's not correct in that part of the world, but I like it on pork - in pork gravy, made after frying pork chops. It is also a great spice for homemade sausage.

P.S.

I wondered why the light on my camera was blinking and just realized I had not downloaded the other photo - of some olives and a package of "Sweet Cheese" - the latter made in Sun Valley, CA by the Karoun Dairy.

The owner insisted on giving me samples of all the olives - 8 or 9 bulk varieties and suggested I would really enjoy these. They are huge and very tasty, not too briny as some of the others were. Lots of good flavor.

Middle East groceries2.JPG

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My husband's Greek. One of his favorite things to make with feta is a delicious salad, perfect as a main course for an unbearably hot day. It is simplicity itself -- onions and tomatoes with oil and vinegar, bit of oregano, salt and pepper. Just before serving add a fair amount of crumbled feta. Find a shady place with a glass of wine and some good bread and feel relief from the heat.

The other thing is to make a salad with all the vegetables, then make a feta omelet and serve with some Greek pita (thicker and breadier than most Arab pita) which has been rubbed with olive oil and heated on the grill on both sides for just a minute.

All right! Look at those cucumbers!

So, apart from its use with labne, za'tar (Jordanian is often considered the highest quality, by the way), can be put into meat marinades, sprinkled on salads, or put into baked goods.

Tomatoes look good too. With those and the cheeses you have the makings of a killer Lebanese breakfast.

Also, Aleppo pepper, such as its called, is ubiquitous in Turkey, where it's called pul biber or Urfa biber, and is all domestically produced. For those without Middle Eastern stores, it's almost identical to coarse Korean gochugaru

So far I made a version of fattoush - already tossed the salad first with some of the za'atar (with a smidge of Aleppo pepper, then with part of the dressing, made with oil, garlic, lemon juice, sumac, salt, and now it's ready to add the toasted pita and some crumbled cheese. It's red because of the sumac.

Fattoush.JPG

Bread and cheese applied. Not pretty but my guest assures me it tastes great.

HPIM4599.JPG

I'm serving it on romaine leaves.

It looks delicious to me andie!

I know Moroccan is not the same Lebanese, but there are more tagines coming in my life... just sauteed some garlic, cayenne and paprika in olive oil and added to olives with lemon juice and lemon zest to marinate for an olive and potato tagine.

There was no leftover salad. I grilled some trout and steamed some fingerling potatoes which were just tossed with butter, salt and pepper (a little of the Aleppo pepper too).

I forgot to get the olives out but no matter, they weren't missed and will certainly be eaten soon.

Patrick, I love tagines too. I also purchased packages of "sausage spices" and "kibbeh spices" that I have found are lovely for flavoring tagines with chicken, duck or turkey.

The latter is a mixture of pepper, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, nutmeg and rose.

I know I could mix the spices myself but this mixture just seems to be perfectly balanced, especially for poultry.

To be honest, I usually buy guinea fowl at the Mexican market for tagines because the meat has much more flavor and does not lose texture with prolonged cooking.

The Seville oranges I put up in salt (like preserved lemons) should be done in a couple of days and I'll be preparing a tagine using them.

I've got to make another run to the ME market because they had some lovely little globe-shaped eggplants, stripey white and lavender with a bit of green and some orange and green "Turkish" eggplants and I want to make an eggplant pie. I thought I was going to be away this weekend so didn't buy them, but now I don't have to drive up north, so will be cooking.

Didn't get to the market today because a friend dropped in to show me some clothes she designed and make.

I made a batch of hummus for a late lunch for me and a snack for her. We both like garlic so I added sufficient that neither of us need to worry about being attacked by vampires any time soon.

I dressed it with argan oil - bottle in first photo - very nice flavor, buttery, a bit of a change from olive oil.

Hummus 1.JPG

with the flatbread.

Hummus 2.JPG

I visited the Middle East Grocery store again today.

I specifically went to buy little eggplants. Sadly, they were sold out of the Turkish eggplants (orange and green) but they still had these the little egg-shaped purple and white type.

Also bought some "frying" peppers - slightly spicy yellow-green peppers.

HPIM4619.JPG

HPIM4620.JPG

Bought some dried figs (I use a lot of figs) and a box of lakhoum that was on sale for $1.99.

HPIM4623.JPG

Can of "Hommos" bag of chickpea flour and jar of "Mild Pepper Paste" or Sade Ev Tipi Biber Salcasi. Product of Turkey

HPIM4622.JPG

Some plain large pita and a package of "Oregano & Thyme Foccacia" I think they are using the term "foccacia" because of marketing to people who don't recognize the true name.

pita small.jpg

Detail of label.

Avo\

Also bought a "sweet web melon" and three giant globe onions.

HPIM4624.JPG

The largest onion weighs 1 pound, 5.5 ounces.

I also bought more little cucumbers, tomatoes and some lovely little bananas that are extremely sweet and flavorful - obviously not the ubiquitous "Cavandish" that is the standard fare.

I tried the "oregano and thyme foccacia" for lunch today.

Heated in the oven just till it began to crisp.

HPIM4625.JPG

Added some of the "Mild Pepper Paste" from Turkey

HPIM4626.JPG

Then finished with some homemade labneh - the yogurt I make with half & half which is thick without needing to strain.

HPIM4627.JPG

Delicious!

Remember the pretty little baby eggplants I bought? And the peppers and tomatoes jumbo onions and etc.

Today I prepared a dish that combined the eggplant, peppers and tomatoes baked in the oven and then finished with stovetop caramelized onions and garlic with a little white wine and butter added to make a sauce that was added just before plating.

Eggplant:pepper:tomato dish.jpg

A close up of the pre-baked layers, eggplants cut in half and placed cut-side-down in the bottom, then a layer of the peppers (sweet Italian "frying" peppers) and topped by the sliced paste type tomatoes.

Eggplant-pepper-tomato dish 2:.jpg

After an hour in the oven at 300° F.

Eggplant:pepper:tomato dish3.JPG

Forgot to take a photo after adding the onions and garlic to the whole dish.

Plated.

I like it plain but my guest added some grated Asiago cheese.

Plated.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I treat them exactly like garden peas - shell them (I wear gloves because the green "dye" in the pods does not easily scrub off)

I drop them into boiling water for 2-3 minutes, depending on the size of the batch (10 -15 ounces shelled) pour into a colander in the sink and rinse briefly with cold water.

If serving hot, back into the pot in which they were cooked, add oil and Italian seasoning or Italian dressing, or you can add butter, salt, pepper, or you can toss them with caramelized onions, red pepper flakes, crumbled crisp bacon.

Any of the above can be tossed with rice, pasta, mixed cooked grains. An Italian friend tosses the garbanzos with cooked barley, chills it and serves on a bed of lettuce as a luncheon salad.

They grow their own so they are always quite fresh.

She also makes a soup with the fresh chickpeas that is similar to a fresh garden pea soup.

Any recipe that uses fresh garden peas or English peas for that matter, can work for these.

Oooooooohhhhhhh, green chickpeas. They're one of my favorite snacks.

Clean them, and place them on a sheet pan in a hot oven. Roast, turning occasionally, until charred on the edges/sides. Munch to your heart's content (just pop them out of the pods and eat -- they should be partially browned and kind of chewy). Enjoy!