• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creme de Cacao Cocktails

Chris Amirault

I finally got my first bottle of creme de cacao recently, a vintage Marie Brizard fifth I found at an estate sale that was 97% full. The reason it was my first bottle ever is that, like the previous owner of this one, I suspected I'd take a sip and then decide it belonged in the back of the cabinet.

Now that I've got it, I'm up for the challenge of finding some interesting drinks with it. This bottle is dark, so the aesthetics aren't going to lend themselves to, say, a 20th Century. But don't let that stop you: post your favorite CdC cocktails here whatever their hue. Here's my first.

Upon tasting the liqueur, something about the rich, inky stuff called out, perhaps perversely, "Branca Menta." After returning a few scotches to the shelf -- bad idea -- I found the richest bourbon I had on hand, tinkered with the sweetness and brought out the orange to boot with some Cointreau, and, well...

La Agrodolce Vita

2 oz Henry McKenna bourbon

1/2 oz Branca Menta

1/2 oz MB creme de cacao

1/4 oz Cointreau

Stir with cracked ice; strain into a coupe; orange twist.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Hi Chris. Welcome to the world of chocolately alcohol! (We were introduced to chocolate vodka recently, but that's another story.)

A few years back, when my son decided he wanted to do a bartender's course and prevailed upon Mummy and Daddy to get a few supplies in so he could practice (damn the child; he started a very expensive habit in us!), we invented a pair of cocktails we decided to call Cheech and Chong. There was some logic to this; the Cheech consisted of peach schnapps and creme de cacao (CHocolate/pEACH, geddit?) and ... something else (vodka, I think; it was OK, but not our best), but the Chong (CHocolate/OraNGe) is worth sharing. We used white creme de cacao, but I see no reason your brown stuff wouldn't taste as nice.

Half fill a shot glass with C de C. Layer on top a similar quantity of Grand Marnier. Take as much as you can manage into your mouth in one go and hold it there as long as you can stand it, then swallow. I dare you not to smile!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

The Fox River Cocktail is a particular favourite of mine that I've been drinking a number of whilst developing/reformulating Peach Bitters (based on bitters from late 1800s, early 1900s). Fee Peach doesn't work in this for me, and the lemon zest isn't really needed I feel.

The Mulata Daisy by Ago Perrone is also a truly sensational drink. I'd recommend this to anyone...

Edited by evo-lution (log)

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

There's the classic Brandy Alexander (note my screen name): equal parts Cognac or brandy, dark c de c, and half-and-half or cream, shaken with ice, garnished with a bit of grated nutmeg. My dad used to make a variation for my mom and her friends when they visited. He used ice cream--coffee, I believe--as the dairy, and give it a quick whirl in the blender instead. It went down *real* easy, providing my dad and me some amusement as we watched them get tipsy.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I've found that creme de cacao mixed with Coke over ice makes a spectacularly grown-up version of a chocolate Coke. Proportions to your taste....

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I have only played with clear creme de cacao, but when I did I came up with:

Chocolate Angel

1 part gin

1 part creme de cacao

1 part dry vermouth

1 part lemon juice

1 dash maraschino liqueur

Shake all of the above with ice, strain, and serve up in a cocktail glass.

The result is not very chocolatey, but the cacao does give a nice bitterness in a way that most other sweet liqueurs do not.