• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soft-boiled eggs in the microwave

Mallet

Lately, I have been eating a lot of instant noodles for lunch (Doog Ji cold noodles in chilled broth), and playing with easy additions. I might chop up a baby bok choy, or add some frozen dumplings. One particularly successful addition has been to put a whole egg in the bowl with the noodles in the microwave. I've done this maybe 3-4 times, and the eggs have come out very well, with a nice gradient of somewhat runny in the middle to cooked on the edge of the yolk.

So I thought nothing of it when I decided to put three eggs in a small bowl, about 3/4 covered in water, in the microwave for 4 minutes. After a while we heard a loud "POP" and discovered this scene...

IMG_1821.jpg

The explosion was sufficient to blow the microwave door open, and all 3 eggs were completely obliterated. What gives? Does anyone have a reliable way to make soft boiled eggs in the microwave?

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I believe there is an earlier topic about this. Poached eggs in microwave.

I cook them in the microwave - covered with a silicone lid - and at 40% power, or less - you have to experiment with the times to get the correct degree of doneness.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Nordic Ware makes a microwave egg cooker that will make soft or hard "boiled" eggs. It cooks 4 eggs at a time. The lower section has water added to it. In the upper section, the eggs are shielded from micro waves by being in a metal compartment. The whole thing is shrouded in plastic. The water boils and sends steam into the upper part through small holes. Eggs cook in under 10 minutes depending on how powerful the microwave is and how well done you want your eggs cooked. I was skeptical when my son brought one home but it works well.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

I believe there is an earlier topic about this. Poached eggs in microwave.

I cook them in the microwave - covered with a silicone lid - and at 40% power, or less - you have to experiment with the times to get the correct degree of doneness.

I wasn't looking for a poached eggs technique, which is why I started a new topic. Cooking eggs in their shell presents its own risks/challenge (see exhibit A above :laugh:).

Low power seems like an excellent suggestion, thank you.

Martin Mallet

www.malletoyster.com

Nordic Ware makes a microwave egg cooker that will make soft or hard "boiled" eggs. It cooks 4 eggs at a time. The lower section has water added to it. In the upper section, the eggs are shielded from micro waves by being in a metal compartment. The whole thing is shrouded in plastic. The water boils and sends steam into the upper part through small holes. Eggs cook in under 10 minutes depending on how powerful the microwave is and how well done you want your eggs cooked. I was skeptical when my son brought one home but it works well.

Neat!

Martin Mallet

www.malletoyster.com

Yeah, I have one - if it's a gadget, I usually have at least one. I've used it a few times and it works okay but can be a bid "fiddly."

Note on the box I have written - 6 1/2 min. @ 1000 watts for Jumbo eggs. That is 4 eggs.

Micro egg cooker.JPG

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wrap them in aluminium foil, cover (completely!) with water. Toss 'em in the nuker to your desired doneness.

It's just not usually any faster than doing them on the stove.

Aluminum foil in the microwave?!? Edited to add that I googled and saw this u-tube - interesting

Aluminum foil in the microwave?!?

Yup! The foil blocks the microwaves, so that the egg doesn't explode, and covering them with water keeps the foil from being an arcing hazard. In sufficient water would be an issue.

I grew up without a stove or an oven, but with two microwaves. I've done it more times than I can remember, but as soon as I moved out and had a stove, I started doing them in a pot.