• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remind me about hollow molding technique?

tammylc

I'm teaching a chocolate molding class on Tuesday night, and we're making hollow Easter eggs in addition to standard bonbon type stuff. But it's been forever since I've done it, and I could use a refresher.

I have the two piece polycarbonate molds that have little notches to fit together. As I recall from the last time I did this, I decorated the molds with colored cocoa butter, gave them a coat of tempered chocolate with a brush, then put some tempered chocolate in one half, put the other half on, and shook it all around. Is that right? How much chocolate is ideal to get a good thickness of shell? Anything else I should remember to keep in mind?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40