• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite meat meals

stuartlikesstrudel

Wow. I've been reading this thread thinking what my top three or four meat dishes would be.

Pulled pork barbecue. Duck confit. Pot roast. A perfect medium rare rib-eye or strip steak. Cajun style boiled shrimp. I guess those would top my list.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This thread puts me in mind of what some folks call 'Texas vegetarians.'

They make an exception for Mexican food and barbecue.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

You just can't beat a BLT on white toast with plenty of Hellman's mayo (aka Best Foods in the west), but a grilled Swiss cheese on rye with bacon and tomato runs a photo-finish second second place! :cool:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, delayed and not-particularly interesting update :)

I have just finished my month, and enjoyed it very much! As I said, it wasn't about just eating tasty food, but that's a happy side-effect and I did manage to embrace it a few times. I didn't get to cook as much as I would have liked, myself, but did manage to make or buy some pretty good food. Some highlights :

Beef massaman curry made from scratch using an eG recipe, cooked till the meat was beautifully tender. The curry had such a savoury taste to it from the meat and also the shrimp paste I guess, very different to veggie curries I usually make!

Juicy burger from a local shop - there's a retro diner that serves a 'classic' burger and really thick thickshakes, quite a treat one night on my way home.

BBQ ribs my brother cooked in his weber BBQ. Fatty, smoky, sticky, delicious!

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it all... I was never the biggest meat-eater and thought that most meat meals I ate were ok but not really that extraordinary. But I guess after so long without it, the new layers of flavour and texture were very noticeable. I've also become a much better cook and eater in those 5 years, so I think I can appreciate it more as well.

Also interesting was how much easier it was to plan meals, everyday stuff. Usually I'll start with beans, eggs, tofu etc as a protein source then add a vegetable or two and maybe some salad as well - lots of veges, not too much carbs and a protein or "main" part of the meal. With meat, I found the filling/satisfying part of the meal much easier, so the salad or veges didn't have to be as plentiful or varied (for interest's sake) so it was quicker to prep and much more flexible... A grilled fish with a salad was easy, quick and felt light but satisfying, whereas a similar meal with tofu would have needed more bulking up and extra flavour injections.

From a pure taste point of view, I would definitely become a less-meatarian, or maybe just a normal-meatarian, but I still have to think about my other considerations (ethical etc) so I'm going to take my new data I've collected, go back to vegetarianism and see how it goes.

All in all, a tasty and refreshing jaunt, and probably not an easy one to recover from, haha. And I still have your lists of other foods I never got round to trying, floating in the back of my mind...

From a pure taste point of view, I would definitely become a less-meatarian, or maybe just a normal-meatarian, but I still have to think about my other considerations (ethical etc) so I'm going to take my new data I've collected, go back to vegetarianism and see how it goes.

Regarding your ethical concerns, remember that we as a species are omnivorous and we evolved eating a certain amount of high quality protein (i.e. meat.) Hence, as long as you eat sensible (modest) amounts of meat and buy it from ethical sources that treat their livestock well then I think only the fanatical can find any fault in what you do...

Edited by sculptor (log)