• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Macarons in SF

piracer

Whose got the best?

I was in napa and went to the bouchon bakery to get a couple since their supposed to be so good. I've never had such a disappointing macaron before. The shells were tough and the fillings were somewhat stingy and not very flavorful. Anyone else feel the same way about the bouchon macarons? I really don't know what the hypes about.

But anyway, im in SF right now and i'm hoping theres stuff out here better then bouchon.

Most of what I've tried at Bouchon has been disappointing. People just get star chef struck. I haven't had macarons in SF for a while, so I don't have any suggestions there. If you are in the East Bay, Masse's in Berkeley has pretty good macarons. Even Virginia Bakery is better macaron-wise than Bouchon.

Yeah im sure most people get star struck but the macarons at Bouchon were just plain all wrong. It wasn't like it wasn't as good as the ones from say Laudree, they were just plain bad macarons - hard tough shell, thin filling which wasn't even good anyway.

I ended up getting some from Miette in the Ferry building terminal, a little more 'proper' in terms of texture (wasn't tough or hard like Bouchon's) but neither were they fantastic. I dunno, im not saying im that great of a baker but i've made my own macarons which i think were better. Also it felt like they used some kind of whole wheat flour in them, i know proper macarons are supposed to be almond but it had the texture and look that reminds you of whole wheat bread.

Strange.