• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appetizer before Beef Stroganoff?

Recoil Rob

My sister is hosting a family birthday party and I have been asked to bring an appetizer that can be made ahead of time. The problem is she's making Beef Stroganoff for the main course. My mental palate tells me that eliminates anything with a Mediterranean influence, anything with cream or cheese?

I would imagine something lighter as Stroganoff is a heavy dish. Smoked salmon on black bread is an option but predictable.

Anyone have a suggestion for a really impressive vegetable app?

thanks, Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

Lyonnaise salad with frisée lettuce, bacon lardons, croutons and a poached egg. Still light but tasty.... I do like the idea of a beet root gazpacho as mentioned above as well though!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Not sure what's being served withe the main, noodles i imagine. We usually do a variation on Italian or other Mediterranean cuisine. I was planning a a Brandade/Morel pizza but I can't imagine it with Stroganoff.

Both "soups" sound good but I was specifically asked to bring an app, i.e. something to be eaten before table sitting. Perhaps served in cups....

- Errol Flynn

The borscht would be nice in cups as an appetiser.

Rather than smoked salmon on black bread, how about smoked salmon and creme fraiche on blini? Or blini with creme fraiche, halved hard-boiled quail egg topped with salmon caviar. Or devilled eggs topped with salmon caviar?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I was planning a a Brandade/Morel pizza but I can't imagine it with Stroganoff.

How about another classic, Wolfgang Puck's Smoked Salmon Pizza with Caviar? I haven't made this one myself, only tasted a version of it that some friends made. The saltiness makes it a good appetizer. I suggest that you go easy on the sour cream/creme fraiche topping since Beef Stroganoff is coming down the pike. Try a small dollop or drizzle of sour cream/creme fraiche and see how it goes. A squeeze of lemon juice in the sour cream/creme fraiche might be nice, too.

The recipe is here:

http://www.yumsugar.com/Wolfgang-Pucks-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-19050987

While many of the other suggestions sound great, the main thing I am trying to avoid is any more dairy in any form, cream, creme fraiche, sour cream, cream cheese. There will be enough in the main course I am sure. Pissaladiere can also be made ahead of time and is portable.

Pissaladiere is leading the leader in the clubhouse.

- Errol Flynn

Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes if you can get some decent ones.

Different stuffings: Smoked Oysters, Smoked trout etc. all sorts of things work.

guess Boursin is out. Wrap the slitted cherry tomatoes with something green: a slip of spinach, or bibb lettuce.

This salad would be a good starter, it is simple.

The enthusiasm of the presenter and the Chef comes through.

Clean, sharp and it will prepare your palate for that

wonderful luxurious Stroganoff.

I constantly go back this Chowtip .

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Instead of smoked salmon on black bread, you could lighten it up as gravlax on cucumber rounds. That would be fresh and a little crunchy, the anti-stroganoff.

Seasoned shrimp would work well on cucumber slices, too.

Is this meant to be a "sit down and eat it" app, or is it meant to be more like an hors d'ouevre? If it's a sit and eat it style first course, why not lightly braised Belgian endive with a balsamic vinagrette? It's light and the slight bitterness of the endive will set off the richness of the Stroganoff quite nicely.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I like the cucumber with caviar or shrimp, maybe add a little dill? I had a Russian friend, an older woman, who always served pelmeni (boiled dumplings) or piroshki (baked dough stuffed with meat and onions) as appetizers, along with pickled beets and other pickled vegetables. This recipe for piroshki is very similar to the ones my friend made My link. Of course there was usually sour cream to go with the pelmeni and piroshki!

I've seen stroganoff that has chopped pickles in it, added last. If you could put pickle in the app., wouldn 't that help cut the heaviness of the dish?

The pickles could be in stuffed eggs, or Wrapped in something salty...thin ham, or prosciutto. Most American cooks are not going to have the pickle in the dish, gives you a good counter point to put it in the app.

I think the reason for them in the first place is to counteract the cream....and give some crunch. Better check her recipe first!

This doesn't really meet your preconditions but this is a favourite of mine and it would go with Stroganoff.

Mix goat cheese and sour cream 50-50 with fresh dill. Spread a thin base on 2 inch dry bread rounds and pipe then pipe on a boarder. Fill these with sushi grade salmon eggs. I call this Scandinavian Sushi,