• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steak – Cooking Sous Vide

ElsieD

I don't wish to be argumentative

( just yet , maybe at 4:30 P  , the beginning time for Brain[sic]Boil )

I gather a major feature of Wagyu is its fat .

that's not to say rendering some of the fat  

might improve its edibility . but its all about the fat 

rendering some of it is  OK , as long as you lick the plate and pan.

( at those prices )

but Im w @weinoo 

on where id put my Beef Dollar(s)

This 

cccc.thumb.jpg.07524bbc84f77cfc6f2f521b0405c3f9.jpg

would get me to MarketBasket Sunday morning 

no faster than the Highlander I have now.  

https://www.barrons.com/articles/ferrari-410-sport-spider-leads-rm-sotheby-pebble-beach-auction-01658517618?mod=hp_minor_pos31

[ its Pebble Beach time :  https://pebblebeachconcours.net  ]  ( for a friend of mine )

and would probably be rustled out of the parking lot 

by the time I finished shopping   ( 10  - 12 minus these days )

https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/2022/05/police-searching-for-wagyu-calf-stolen-from-farm.html

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qvqezv/japan-wagyu-beef-cattle-crime-theft-sperm

i wouldn't mind taking a spin in that car , as i didn't mind a taste of wagyu 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, weinoo said:

We didn't sous vide the wagyu at all. I'd seriously rather buy 3 aged steaks from Ends Meats than one wagyu.

I agree. Wagyu has nothing for me, its just fatty meat.

• Like 2

Years ago, some of us in NYC were fans of a restaurant called Beacon. It was really introduced to some of us by the late @Fat Guy - RIP. (see, his memory IS a blessing). He loved steak (well, he loved food) and Waldy Malouf, the chef at Beacon, was a big meat guy.  Here's a quote from one of FG's posts, after he'd been invited to visit DeBragga - purveyors of some of the finest beef money can buy, almost 15 years ago...

George was kind enough to send us away with a sample of Japanese Wagyu steak. I decided to bring the steak with us to lunch at Beacon and ask Waldy Malouf to prepare it as an hors d'oeuvre -- my first-ever BYO meat experience.

gallery_1_295_467.jpg

Waldy seasoned the steak and threw it on the grill for just a couple of minutes. He then sliced it and plated it up in several small portions.

gallery_1_295_7247.jpg

gallery_1_295_44627.jpg

gallery_1_295_1749.jpg

The Wagyu was pretty fabulous, though given its street price (I think this was about a $100 steak) and preternatural fattiness (it's more like foie gras than steak) I think I'm happiest with normal American dry-aged beef at the Prime or high-Choice level.

As can be seen, that Wagyu (and it's unknown what grade or variety it was - there are many varieties and grades of wagyu), came out just great after a few minutes on the grill; no sous vide, no reverse sear, nothing but the grill.

Oh, and the whole post of @Fat Guy's - instructive about beef/steaks and DeBragga...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

This 

cccc.thumb.jpg.07524bbc84f77cfc6f2f521b0405c3f9.jpg

would get me to MarketBasket Sunday morning 

I don't know, @rotuts - I thought this would be more your speed...

image.thumb.png.8a0d8a272fffec6566e88d6baa8340fd.png

From a friend at the Saratoga (CA) car show!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?