• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steak – Cooking Sous Vide

ElsieD

18 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I've only had Wagyu in Japan where it was served in little pieces.

This is the way it is often offered here; then put on a very hot grill or griddle or even stone for a short period of time on both sides.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

30 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Interestingly, one thing I was thinking of doing was separating the cap from the eye, getting rid of that fat, and cooking them individually - or even saving the cap for another purpose - I've stir fried one to great effect, and also used one gyudon.

•  

OK - if you plan to do that, then I think SV would be fine for the grass fed for sure.  I'd probably SV it at 132-133 or so for a couple hours for medium.  It'll creep up a bit more during the sear.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the wagyu came from here...https://www.regalisfoods.com/products/miyazaki-a5-wagyu-ribeye

Though I didn't procure it, so can't guarantee.  In any event, they offer...

With this Ribeye cut, we recommend either pan-searing on very high heat, or slicing paper-thin and warming with a blowtorch. 

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@weinoo 

would it be worth while 

even educational ( for me )

to try that wagyu as a carpaccio ?

id say room temp , but that's variable these days 

fo cellar temp , Jura , FR ?

55 F ( after The FR convert ) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

OK - if you plan to do that, then I think SV would be fine for the grass fed for sure.  I'd probably SV it at 132-133 or so for a couple hours for medium.  It'll creep up a bit more during the sear.

This is pretty much what I'm going to do.

I'll discuss the wagyu with the owner but I think even sous viding it to a slightly lower temp before pan searing will be okay.

I wish we were having lobster.

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

would it be worth while 

even educational ( for me )

to try that wagyu as a carpaccio ?

id say room temp , but that's variable these days 

fo cellar temp , Jura , FR ?

55 F ( after The FR convert ) 

I'm not comfortable doing that - I know one or two wouldn't eat it at all that way, and I'd rather it see some heat for safety purposes.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

may I ask where the GF ribeye came from ?

very curious 

Fresh Direct.  But I need to correct myself - while they offer locally raised, grass fed rib eyes, this is their prime reserve Angus.  Which was on sale when I bought it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@weinoo 

have you tried any of their

grass fed beef ?

or other GFB that suited your high standards ?

Im interested in your opinion

both where you got it

how you cooked it 

and your thoughs

dans le plate 

Unless I'm looking at the image wrong, the wagyu isn't 1.5"-2" thick. I don't think I've ever seen a thick, untrimmed wagyu rib steak offered for sale; the ones I've seen are always sliced quite thin (for a steak), an inch or less. You really don't want to be eating a 2" thick A5 rib steak, unless it's serving 12 people or something. I saw Grant Achatz do a SV wagyu demo on a thicker steak, which he cooked to very rare but then did a super sear on just one side. This gave it a spectrum of doneness from very rare to well done by the crispy edge. But the steak was subsequently carved into tasting portions enough to serve a small crowd. It was definitely a restaurant preparation. But I digress.

In the event that it's a slimmer cut, I'd trim it into individual muscle groups and just sear everything hard until it's done. (Be sure to save the larger pieces of fat to make fried rice with. Or render up some crispy fat bits and saute green beans in it. Or whatever... save the fat, it's good.)  IMO, there's no big benefit to SV on thinner wagyu rib steaks; you don't need to tenderize them, and you're not going to render much fat (though more will render than conventional beef, as the fat contains more monounsaturated fat). And if they're not super thick, they're relatively easy to cook. Salt, sear, done. The last time I ate some (lower end) wagyu, that's what I did anyway.

If you sear A5 in a dry pan, by the time you're done, it'll be shallow-frying in its own fat. And that's okay. You want to render that fat. You need to render that fat. It's still going to be the fattiest beef you've ever had in your life. And that's okay too. 

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 3

I was definitely looking at that picture of the Wagyu wrong; the shadow is a bit of an illusion to me, but looking closer I can see it’s a thin steak.  It will be seared in a pan,

@rotuts- the grass fed steaks I’ve had have been from Walden, FD, and my local butcher. I cook them in a pan and flip them frequently, as I’m not generally a fan of futzing with sous vide.  Until it’s 100 degrees in my kitchen, that is.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I trimmed out that rib eye of its excess hardened fat, and rolled and tied it with the cap on the outside...

IMG_7284.thumb.jpeg.75550b4b832c392c87553ff209e4cbda.jpeg

And bagged it...

IMG_7285.thumb.jpeg.a0df1410291fc45a1670573a3832d41e.jpeg

Should be interesting. The wagyu (I've now seen it in person) is FATTY, but quite thin, as decided above. And we bought another "small" steak - an aged strip, which is also getting a bath.

• Like 8

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I trimmed out that rib eye of its excess hardened fat, and rolled and tied it with the cap on the outside...

Now you can render that beef fat and make some amazing french fries! Maybe just one or two though. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So  the small steak my friend picked up also got bagged. Both the rib eye and the strip were sous vided at 55℃, as I wanted to make sure not to over cook them. It wasn't a worry; as a matter of fact, after slamming them in a screaming hot cast iron for a minute, we decided we wanted a little more fire on the rib eye, and back in the pan it went.  The wagyu was another story, as we definitely cooked it more than it needed - though it was still delicious, cause it's basically like eating crispy, beefy fat. But I think there are better ways to cook it - like maybe slices and then just feeling the heat from a torch, or 15 seconds on one side in the pan, and done. Next time! In the meantime...

image.thumb.jpeg.5a40ec03adf8c7f5a51f8f43d52ef625.jpeg

The strip on top, the rib eye on the bottom, the cap on top right (which I gave even a little more time in the cast iron, and was probably my favorite of all this beef), and the wagyu on the left.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

The strip on top, the rib eye on the bottom, the cap on top right (which I gave even a little more time in the cast iron, and was probably my favorite of all this beef), and the wagyu on the left.

Given the challenges you were facing I am glad it all worked out although I never had very much doubt. Kudos. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, scamhi said:

When I have A5 Wagyu. I try to cut the meat into batons and quick sear and 4 sides.

Let rest and then serve with lemon cheek and salt

I would not have thought it took much cheek to serve A5 steak. :smile::smile::smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, scamhi said:

When I have A5 Wagyu. I try to cut the meat into batons and quick sear and 4 sides.

Let rest and then serve with lemon cheek and salt

Next time - but to be quite honest, the other two steaks are much more favored by us - especially stuff from Ends Meats.

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

17 hours ago, weinoo said:

So  the small steak my friend picked up also got bagged. Both the rib eye and the strip were sous vided at 55℃, as I wanted to make sure not to over cook them. It wasn't a worry; as a matter of fact, after slamming them in a screaming hot cast iron for a minute, we decided we wanted a little more fire on the rib eye, and back in the pan it went.  The wagyu was another story, as we definitely cooked it more than it needed - though it was still delicious, cause it's basically like eating crispy, beefy fat. But I think there are better ways to cook it - like maybe slices and then just feeling the heat from a torch, or 15 seconds on one side in the pan, and done. Next time! In the meantime...

Interesting. I haven't cooked Wagyu, but have been told by just about everyone to cook it at a higher temperature than the equivalent American beef. Typically 58°C. The idea is to fully melt the fat, which doesn't happen 55. 

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

7 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Interesting. I haven't cooked Wagyu, but have been told by just about everyone to cook it at a higher temperature than the equivalent American beef. Typically 58°C. The idea is to fully melt the fat, which doesn't happen 55. 

We didn't sous vide the wagyu at all. I'd seriously rather buy 3 aged steaks from Ends Meats than one wagyu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog