• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Martinezihattan

evo-lution

You may have read Dan Priseman's excellent piece detailing the history of the Martinez and asking the question, "What is a Martinez?"

This morning I posted my reply to Dan's article, simply put I'd say that the Martinez is exactly what Jerry Thomas detailed it as although I've tried to provide further insight which encapsulates the Manhattan, Martini and Dry Martini. A wee snippet...

"I have long suspected the lines between the Manhattan, Martinez and Martini are blurred, with the latter evolving (as we know it today) from the former two drinks but only by name, gaining popularity because of the Martini brand who I believe created it, and coupled with a switch toward drier drinks. You see, I believe the Martinez and Martini were originally one and the same, differing only due to ratios of gin and vermouth."

The article can be read here.

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings