• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creme brulee cooked on a cake.

Tweety69bird

Adding a moisture barrier is what I would try but instead of a layer of some fat, how about some sheets of buttered phyllo dough.

Thank you for your suggestion! I think the phyllo would make it more difficult to cut through the dessert though. In any case, I finally found a solution.

Pictures will come. The actual event is next Wednesday, so hang on til then! :smile:

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

The thing that has been most on my mind during this thread is that something tells me, even after all this, when your dessert comes out, your chef will be the one taking the credit.

But maybe I'm being too harsh...

After all, I barely know him.

:cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The thing that has been most on my mind during this thread is that something tells me, even after all this, when your dessert comes out, your chef will be the one taking the credit.

It's not an uncommon practice. One can always strike out on their own.

I agree, and it doens't bother me at all. HE will know who made it. :biggrin:

I agree, and it doens't bother me at all. HE will know who made it. :biggrin:

He (the chef) will also know HE didn't make it, and couldn't.....

So, here is my final result. I'm very happy with how it came out.. although this one didn`t have the nicest base.

What I ended up doing was: Baking the chiffon cake in ring molds & baking the creme brulée in hotel pans. I put the brulée in the freezer for an hour before using and then cut rounds with the same ring mold and tranfered them to the top of the cake. It worked really well. The kicker: The chef loved it and even gave me a hug. :raz:

Yay! Thank you all for your help on this one. I'm happy it's over.

2012-03-28 22.59.52-1.jpg

I'm thoroughly impressed with the final result, when I saw that you wanted a brulee on a cake, I thought 'thats crazy!'

Haha, that's what I thought too. As frustrating as this task was, I learned something new doing this, and am very pleased about that!

Did you torch before or after stacking?

Afterwards.

That would explain the burnt edge, then. A wrap of aluminum foil would prevent that if you so preferred.

Great tip! Thank you.