• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Covered ... ?

Shel_B

Toots and I love dark chocolate. This weekend is her birthday party and I'd like to make something interesting and different that will be robed in dark chocolate. Any suggestions ... besides strawberries and nuts?

... Shel

Prunes (sorry, 'dried plums'... and stop laughing :raz: ) in dark chocolate are amazing. I first came across them at La Maison du Chocolat, and every time I get back to NYC, I head there almost first thing off the plane, specifically for their chocolate-covered prunes.

Figs and preserved ginger are also terrific in dark chocolate.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Candied tangerine and lemon peels.

Ginger snaps and oreos.

Ruffled potato chips.

A fudge center would be awesome if you're using a high cocoa% dark chocolate. Otherwise, it's too sweet.

Cranberry or pomegranite pate de fruit sounds tasty in dark chocolate.

I'm working on a glace apricot made with dried apricots. Not quite there yet, but good for dipping.

pretzle rods, marshmallows, nutter butter cookies

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Better than butter cookies are shortbread cookies. Make heart shapes and dip one side.

Small bits of hocolate dipped in chocolate is good (two different darknesses).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

When I was dipping chocolates at Christmas and had just a bit of tempered chocolate leftover, I dipped some of the Trader Joe's version of Biscoff. I was using milk chocolate at the time, and found the combination wonderful, but I think they would be equally as good in dark chocolate. They made for a nice crunchy, mildly spiced interior.

If you add a little ground espresso to the shortbread it's even better when dipped in chocolate. ;)

Maybe Kerry will pipe in here. She dips lots of things including candy-type licorice.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Happy to pipe in - I dip lots of stuff indeed - not too much of it in dark chocolate though. GInger for sure, candied orange rinds, marshmallows and things with coconut (macaroons) seem to be best with a thin layer of dark. Peppermint seems better with dark - so peppermint patties. And of course toffee - almond buttercrunch calls for dark.

• 1 month later...

Candied mandarin supremes.

And I'm not sure if they're available in NorAm, but down here I can buy chocolate rice crisp cereal. If you made that into rice crisp squares using chocolate marshmallow (yes, we have that too), then dipped them in dark, that would be just about heaven.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Candied mandarin supremes.

And I'm not sure if they're available in NorAm, but down here I can buy chocolate rice crisp cereal. If you made that into rice crisp squares using chocolate marshmallow (yes, we have that too), then dipped them in dark, that would be just about heaven.

Some chile, perhaps ancho powder or a bit of chipotle, in the squares and then they would be heaven. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets.

I ran some of these through the enrober with milk chocolate - I decided they would be better panned - because you need the right ration of chocolate to pb pretzel nugget - and just enrobed once there wasn't enough chocolate!

I have dipped tepin chiles in dark chocolate . I left the stem on and they looked like miniture stem on chocolate dipped cherries. So tasty. :)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow