• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bistro Recommendations in the 5th

Vine

We will be in Paris for one night in early May staying in the 5th. We were thinking of booking dinner at either Les Papilles, Christophe or the Bistro version of Kitchen Gallerie. Any thoughts on these choices or alternative that are within walking distance of our hotel (Rue St Jacques near Saint Germain)? My wife is a vegetarian so I'm not sure if Les Papilles can accomodate her with what appears to be a fixed menu in the evenings, and we have seen a less than favourable review on Kitchen Gallerie's Bistro - we've had dinner at the main Kitchen Gallerie Restaurant two years ago and it was wonderful. I'd appreciate any insight / recent experience that would help us decide. Thanks in advance. Vine

It is also important to define your wife's vegetarianism: will she eat milk product and eggs? will she allow animal/poultry broth or fats in the preparation of her otherwise meatless dishes? And, surprisingly, some avowed vegetarians eat seafood. If she allows any of these deviations from vegan, she has an excellent chance of being satisfied almost anywhere...providing you make these specifications known when you reserve and again when you are seated.

eGullet member #80.