• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food News 100 years ago

Tommorrow, March 6, 2012, the Oreo turns 100. In celebration of innovations, inventions and foods that were born 100 years ago, I thought it would be interesting to start a rolling history log. I'm sure many of the food customs and technologies that were introduced in 1912 are long gone, yet many live on--like the Oreo.

I'll start with this tidbit in my local newspaper this morning-

From the archives of the Spokesman-Review (Spokane, WA), newspaper, March 5, 2012-

"The Humane Society in Spokane has been asked to launch a campaign of kindness in favor of the lowly oyster, which is "ruthlessly torn from its shell and eaten alive!"

Tommorrow, March 6, 2012, the Oreo turns 100. In celebration of innovations, inventions and foods that were born 100 years ago, I thought it would be interesting to start a rolling history log. I'm sure many of the food customs and technologies that were introduced in 1912 are long gone, yet many live on--like the Oreo.

I'll start with this tidbit in my local newspaper this morning-

From the archives of the Spokesman-Review (Spokane, WA), newspaper, March 5, 2012-

"The Humane Society in Spokane has been asked to launch a campaign of kindness in favor of the lowly oyster, which is "ruthlessly torn from its shell and eaten alive!"

"Thousands of bottles of Piper Heidsieck feared lost in Titanic disaster. In other news, many Irishmen also killed."

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

From the archives of the Spokesman-Review (Spokane, WA), newspaper, March 5, 1912

Did you mean the report about oysters is from 1912?

Yes. Each day the local newspaper runs a "From our archives, 100 years ago" feature and the "oyster" problem was one of the items in the archive section yesterday. The piece originally ran in the paper on March 5, 1912 and they brought it back yesterday, 100 years later. Sorry, I could have been more clear.