• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Back of the spoon...

Am I the only one?

No.

I've been watching Masterchef and I'm not sure whether I'm more irritated by the voice-over (s usual) or the fact that every sodding plate of food seems to get the spoon treatment.

John Hartley

I cannot watch it anymore, surely it's time this program was consigned to history? It's repetitive and dull and the presenters are now just caricatures of themselves. I know it's cheap to make, even throwing in the cost of lugging everyone off to a foreign place in order to try and inject some entertainment value, but come on BBC!

As for the spoon dragging, well these fashions come and go. I'm looking forward to the dollop!

He's a green grocer trying to fizz us all up over nowt.

What a waste of time it is.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Okay, I'm trying to feel embarrassed (not having much luck with that) about not knowing what the back of the spoon thing is, but... well, what is it? Someone, please explain (and what, if anything is it sopposed to convey?)!

All I can conjure up is someone drawing the spoon backwards through something, or possibly patting it with the back of the spoon, both of which seem random/unremarkable actions. What am I not getting? Before you ask, nope, I don't really have access to a TV.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

:D

Back of the spoon.... we (my family) have always called it the 'boxer shorts design' because it so often looks like a paisley.

I'm sure that's NOT what the 'up scale' restaurateurs wanted to hear when their plates were delivered!

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Of course, the terribly modish "spoon-smear" will come and go like any trend. It, in its turn, merely replaced the fad for foam, airs and general frothiness which was itself just the successor to a time when some pretty alarming zig-zag work with the squeezy bottle was de rigeur.

I wonder if anyone has any photos, like Mr Goodfellow's, showing classic examples of these or other previous trends?

And whether people are willing to speculate on what the next trend will be; could it be that dot compositions are the way forward, just as they once were for the Young British Artists movement?

Gareth