• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Cake

Shel_B

Mr. Breakfast describes it thus.

The Oxford English Dictionary goes into greater detail but that's about the gist of it.

Kaffeekuchen was a label I often saw when I lived in Wisconsin.

A friend from Denmark notes that it is practically impossible, when visiting a private home, to have coffee without some kind of cake or sweet roll (?Danish?) and her visits to other Scandinavian countries produced the same.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Seems to me there are two main types of coffee cake:

The high "cakey" type made with baking powder and additions like streusel topping, nuts, cinnamon, furit

The Scandinavian style which is more akin to a danish pastry type and is much flatter.

Totally anecdotal and I would add:

- you can eat coffee cake for breakfast

- you can make the recipe into muffins

added: I usually prefer coffee cakes over 'formal' cakes

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'd add that I was taught that coffee cakes are less sweet in their dough than dessert cakes, and of a denser crumb (usually).

ETA - I was also taught that coffee cakes don't ever have "heavy" icings like buttercream. At most they should have a milk glaze or hard, thin sugar icing.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

And they often have nuts in them or on them. ...think I might have to go and make a coffee cake right now...what kind?...O, what kind? :hmmm:...and with a streusel topping, I think.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I was surprised to get coffeecake at several places in Tokyo and it was coffee flavored -what appeared to be a cinnamon swirl in a cake style was actually an espresso swirl.

Also, here in Phoenix, I was asked by some people from India for a good coffeecake recipe because they hadn't been able to get any at local bakeries. They didn't understand why it was never coffee flavored.

Coffee cakes, unless they are of the Danish pastry type, seem to be quick breads (or cakes :rolleyes: ) that are not as heavy on the butter and eggs as desert cakes. And as others have said, often spiced or with nuts, or sometimes fruits. My MIL makes a wonderful coffee cake with peaches in the summer. And if it gets a thick frosting put on it, it becomes a desert cake and not a coffee cake.

I'm curious why you're asking.

I came across this one more than a year ago - I may have mentioned it in another thread, I was so impressed by it - which has to be tasted to be believed.

There is nothing remarkable about the ingredients (except for the amount of butter) but the way they are combined is somewhat different and the result is exceptional.

Do try it!

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I came across this one more than a year ago - I may have mentioned it in another thread, I was so impressed by it - which has to be tasted to be believed.

There is nothing remarkable about the ingredients (except for the amount of butter) but the way they are combined is somewhat different and the result is exceptional.

Do try it!

And so I shall. For a Gourdpatch meeting on Monday. Sounds wonderful.

The trick in this house is to make the dessert or confection...and then get it out of the house quickly!!!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Do try it!

Wow does that sound and look good. Does it fit into a lo-carb diet, do you think?

I can always make it to take to church coffee hour, right? :raz:

I just make a standard sort of vanilla sponge cake, but instead of any milk or other liquid, I use very, very strong french press coffee. Ice the top with ganaache made of strong coffer and white chocolate. Sprinkle with slivered almonds.

It's really, really good. My favourite cake .

Do try it!

This looks very good. Pioneer Woman has provided a few very fine recipes for me. Thanks for the link!

... Shel

I'm curious why you're asking.

Because I've never seen a definition for a coffee cake, and have seen several cakes so described, but all were different. Plus, I'm just a curious fellow ... :cool:

... Shel