• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat in Austin TX?

doorbell

Am spending some extended time in Austin. I don't call myself a foodie, but other people do. I have been living in the sticks the last couple years while reading all about food trends and drooling on my keyboard. I am also on a tight budget and am looking for food in the $5-10 range, of which there should be plenty in Austin. On a special occasion, I will consider spending more but I don't know that I've ever ordered something that costs more than $20, and hardly ever even $15.

I would prefer to eat from a trailer than brick and mortar.

Whatcha got?

Austin has tons of good food, although $5-10 is very restricting if you want the trendy food you've been reading about.

There's a ton of food carts in that price range - I would recommend East Side King, Tacos Selene, Chilantro, and Doc'n'Roll diner to name a few.

Edited by Baselerd (log)

The food truck scene in austin is very healthy and you could easily eat at a different truck every day for a month and still have fantastic food every day. You should definitely make it a point to hit all the Eat Side King locations, chilantro and the peached tortilla as Baselerd said. As far as brick and mortar places to try while here, if you want trendy you should hit Ramen Tatsuya for a bowl of ramen, and you should make the wait one day at franklins BBQ for some brisket.

Edited by Twyst (log)

Paul Qui, recent Top Chef winner, was operating a food truck for a while. Don't know if he still is.

But here's a good article by him:

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/austin-travel-guide-paul-qui

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yeah, Paul Qui's current truck is called East Side Kings; there are a few different locations. I went recently, and the food was excellent (price is not the cheapest and portions are small, but certainly falls within the constraints mentioned above). Lots of great food trucks around, and most of them are clustered in little semi-permanent "trailer parks". I think most of the food I had from the trucks there was good to excellent, and I like the way the city has really helped to encourage, rather than stifle the whole food truck thing. I live in LA where the whole upscale food truck thing seemed to start taking off, but really, most of the trucks here aren't very good, and the city really doesn't do a lot to make it easier for them to operate. In contrast, Austin has really done a great job of creating an ecosystem where the barrier to entry isn't bad, and there's enough competition that the quality of the food seems to be fairly good.

If you've got the money, would really also suggest Uchiko / Uchi, the restaurant run by his former mentor. But definitely far above the price range you're talking about.

I have eaten a few meals at East Side King (different locations), I definitely enjoy it though wouldn't say I've been blown away just yet... I find the ramen to be a huge portion (for me). Always some really good & interesting food for less than $10, it's just that instead of thinking "f**k this is so delicious" I always think "hmm this is interesting" - just doesn't hit me immediately as delicious, which is the reaction I'm hoping for. And cheap-ass roach coaches unfailingly provide for $5.

I have to think there's heaps of great food in Austin for less than $10. I mean, it's the land of food trailers and Mex and Tex-Mex!

And I hear great things about Uchi and Uchiko and met someone who cooks at Uchiko... and while I'm not exactly sure about the menu, I can say that three of the few things I don't enjoy eating are sushi, wasabi, or fancy-pants plates with paint-brush stokes of condiments. Not into it one bit, am a real down-to-earth chick and like my food extremely "approachable" as Michael Simon would say, and don't care to spend a single dollar for any presentation that is strictly about looks and fashion rather than function. (Probably dipping my foot into a much bigger debate here, but that's my taste and I would love recommendations based on it.) So I am all about the $1.25 roach coach tacos at the least romantic locations, and also, I have a tiny stomach, so I can rarely actually eat $10 worth of (unfancy) food.

• 1 year later...

Had a wonderful meal with my daughters at La V a couple of weeks ago.

Fantastic pate and cheese plates to start.  Next time I go I am just having those two dishes as my meal.

Great cocktail (some sort of West Indian Sour) and a great glass of white wine.

Escargot was... escargot, with a dusting of curry seasoning.

Mains were good but not knock outs.  Dessert was fantastic (Profiteroles with Earl Grey Ice Cream).

Service was very good and the atmosphere elegant and chic.  Will be back.

• 7 months later...

I'm a big ramen hound but my partner doesn't eat pork. We're always on the lookout for a good chicken ramen place and Daruma Ramen in Austin DELIVERS and it delivers massive flavor. Their Shio and Shoyu are great. The vegetarian ramen is good for vegetarian ramen but doesn't pack the same punch as their chicken stocks. Check it out if you're in town and looking for a warm, satisfying meal. Restaurant is small so arrive early or late.