• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

James Beard Awards Now To Include "Outstanding Bar"

weinoo

The James Beard Foundation will now be giving an award which:

Congrats to all the nominees, including our own Chris Amirault, as the bar he was/is involved with is a finalist...

Providence, R.I. - Cook & Brown Public House

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Very useful for finding out about bars I've never heard—now I won't dread going to San Antonio.

But perhaps not the ultimate authoritative guide on the best bars. Surely there will be some controversy about the New York bars?

Great to see the James Beard Awards expanding to this category.

I'm especially happy to see Holeman & Finch Public House in Atlanta make the list as it -- and its sister establishment Restaurant Eugene -- developed a stellar cocktail program from day one.

Props to my friends at The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company for their well deserved inclusion in such fine company. That's a great field of nominees.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

But perhaps not the ultimate authoritative guide on the best bars. Surely there will be some controversy about the New York bars?

Isn't controversy what all awards are about?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm a bit surprised, but then again not, to see the Old Fashioned here for Madison. They may have 50+ beers on tap, but the service isn't at all great. You can very easily find yourself with a lackluster beer, because no one there can tell you what these beers are. When I go there, I just order what I know.

There are much better places that have knowledgeable and excellent beer service in town, like the incomparable Malt House. The latter has around 20 taps with a rotating selection of the most interesting things they can find, much of which I've never seen anywhere else. Of course they are nothing like the juggernaut that is the OF, since they are a small little tavern way outside the center of town, and will thus never get such a national mention.

Ah well it is cool to see WI on the list.

nunc est bibendum...