• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Understanding Rum

Capn Jimbo

It certainly beats infancy.

That's a fascinating series of experiments, Jo. May I suggest a breather?

Clearly Leslie has experience with this sort of thing and knows whereof he speaks.  I took the good advice.

Tonight I started with a Cana Brava daiquiri.  Same observation as before.  Then I poured myself a glass.  So much less work than having to make a daiquiri.  And this way I do not harm any limes.

Taken neat it is obvious Cana Brava is real rum.  The flavor is pleasant but very light.  It goes down as easily neat as in a daiquiri.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

In your list I would go for the Neisson. It makes a memorable daiquiri.

You are my kind of woman.  Thank you so much!  It took a while to fully appreciate Neisson blanc, but that is some rhum.  Have you tried their older expressions?  How do they compare with Rhum JM 15?

You are my kind of woman.  Thank you so much!  It took a while to fully appreciate Neisson blanc, but that is some rhum.  Have you tried their older expressions?  How do they compare with Rhum JM 15?

Glad you liked it. My favorite Daiquiri is always one with a white rhum agricole. There isn't an agricole that I have met but haven't liked. The aged ones have a completely different personality from the white agricoles though. The whites are grassy and green and full of fresh vegetal notes (which are fantastic in a Daiquiri), whereas the aged ones are more understated but still beautiful and interesting.

You remind me that I have a bottle of Neisson Extra Vieux that I bought in Martinique years ago but haven't opened yet. Tonight may be a good night - it's my birthday.

• Like 1

You remind me that I have a bottle of Neisson Extra Vieux that I bought in Martinique years ago but haven't opened yet. Tonight may be a good night - it's my birthday.

Would that I had Leslie's Lear.  Perhaps he might stop by to pick me up?  The airstrip is just over yonder.

• Like 1

I'll man the bar. Agricole Daiquiris all around. Frog's will be garnished with lit birthday candles.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Frog's will be garnished with lit birthday candles.

It's a good trick. Mike Ryan at Sable made me a Ramos with a candle in it for my birthday a couple years back.

AxzgnSCCIAAht7M.jpg

He melted and flattened out the base so it was wide enough that it would stand up in the foam.

• Like 4

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I like Gosling's Old as well (once I was able to get the bottle open).  Do you mix with it or just drink it neat?

I was surprised to see the Goslings Old available in Atlanta recently. Had not seen it before in town. Of course I had just picked up a bottle at TPS just before I saw it so I didn't need it by then. But good to know it is there. Perhaps distribution is starting to expand.

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)
  • Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

The Neisson Extra Vieux was a pain to open (I hate these wax-sealed bottles. Is there a clean way to open them?), but otherwise no complaints. It's really really good with banana, pepper, and cocoa undertones.

14325311984_0718658b92_z.jpg

Homemade chocolate walnut brownie on the side.

• Like 1

The Neisson Extra Vieux was a pain to open (I hate these wax-sealed bottles. Is there a clean way to open them?)

You can do two things: 1) score round the inner bottle-top with a knife, then score over the top of the cap and (carefully) bash the wax against a hard surface or with a blunt object until it falls off in bits. Rinse the top before opening the bottle so you don't end up with bits of wax in the drink; 2) use hot water, a hair dryer or a coffee machine steam jet to soften the wax and prise it off.

I know how to access most booze in most circumstances :biggrin:

• Like 2

Beware of the pirate in gentleman's clothing...

Back on topic, my thanks to Adam & Co for recommending the Plantation 3 Star. It does make a great Daiquiri. And as a bonus, it's quite cheap (I paid $16.99 + tax for 1 liter).

Here is last night's rendition with Difford's 10:3:2 ratio. I want to say that the flavor of this rum is not very far apart from Flor de Caña, maybe a little fuller/richer when the FdC is a bit more grassy/coconut-y, although I no longer have a bottle of FdC to compare against.

14354312113_028c9249cb_z.jpg

The Dreaded Humidity has arrived in Washington and surely is here to stay through September. Fuck. 

That daiquiri looks like what the doctor ordered! 

Edited by Hassouni (log)

• 5 weeks later...