• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Understanding Rum

Capn Jimbo

On 7/23/2021 at 12:02 AM, scubadoo97 said:

Staff note: This post and the responses to it have been moved from All About Bourbon Whiskey.

@Eatmywords  Give a rum like Doorlys a try.  El Dorado has a significant amount of added sugar added after distillation 

As someone who used to shit on DDL for dosing all their rums, I'm VERY happy to report that they reformulated their recipes quite recently and removed most if not all the sugar. The new 15 year is fantastic and a bargain for what it is, and the 21 is delightful. The 12, which was the most heavily sugared, falls kind of flat, and I see why they added so much sugar to it in the past! Also they have a series of single still bottles that as far as I can tell are bone dry. I just wish they were higher than 40% ABV.

Bottom line, Demerara Distillers/El Dorado is actually listening to the rum critics out there

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

As someone who used to shit on DDL for dosing all their rums, I'm VERY happy to report that they reformulated their recipes quite recently and removed most if not all the sugar. The new 15 year is fantastic and a bargain for what it is, and the 21 is delightful. 

Yeah, I can totally agree with that. I've tried to produce a lot of different beverages, and maybe the only beverage I couldn't produce in its genuine taste - is cider, like from this cider gift set made by Crafty Nectar. Have you tried to brew cider on your own? Beer is too common and easy for now, after I've tried to brew cider.

Edited by introoz1 (log)