• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

10 Greek St.

• 1 month later...

IMG_1936.JPG

Yes, I'm happy to admit to being a food snob. I religiously follow the Michelin guide, because in the main I trust their judgement. Sometimes of course they get it wrong, by a margin, but that just goes with the territory. However having said all that, at times we both crave honest down to earth "normal" plates of food, not over processed, just perfectly cooked a la minute. Thats the reason we dined here.

Soho is coming more into focus for foodies of late and this latest addition has received much press coverage.

The exterior is very low key. The interior is cafe style with three blackboards listing the menu items. The best seats are at the rear sitting at the light flooded kitchen counter watching the chefs cook your food. We sat at the worst table, the one by the draughty entrance door. The reason we persevered was purely to gain natural light for my photos.

The menu is simple and to the point, perhaps six starters with a couple doubling up to mains if you wanted. Eight mains, and five desserts and a cheese course. There was nothing on the menu that I would be unhappy to eat and one thing that I desparately wanted to eat, Goat Pie Oh my giddy aunt, never ever have I seen goat pie on a menu. Yes you will get goat perhaps in an Indian restaurant, say at Birmingham,s Lasan, in a biryani for instance, but not in all my travels have I seen one on a European menu.

I really wanted to order the six starters and share one main, the goat pie. She who must be obeyed deeply objected to the Lambs brain, sage, capers and brown butter, and fancied the Middlewhite pork main so we compromised and had two mains and an irresistable three starters.

IMG_1921.JPG

Bread, baked fresh daily, was good. Soudough and an especially nice onion topped focaccia.

Tap water is served in a milk bottle and the cutlery is stored in a specially made recess in the table

Queen scallops and chorizo (£8)

IMG_1923.JPG

IMG_1931.JPG

Totally gorgeous, eye candy of the highest order and top tasting.

Three and a half each was not really enough, we could have just gorged down on another plateful. The plump scallops and the oozing fatty chorizo were a marriage made in heaven. Quite a bargain too for the price, cheap as chips.

Quadretti (£6) is a type of pasta, and this dish was loaded with wild mushrooms. Think trompette de morte, chanterelle, etc. Burrata (Italian creamed cheese) sat atop and started to melt into the hot pasta.

IMG_1933.JPG

This was the only underseasoned dish of the meal, (the others were highly seasoned) but as soon as the sea salt was added it lifted the flavour no end.

Simple, simple, simple, Mackerel, romesco, and lemon (£6) but again big on flavour. Good presentation and good combination of ingredients.

IMG_1929.JPG

You know what they say, don't you? " If you don't ask, you don't get"

Well I asked and "I got" more of that great focaccia.

IMG_1935.JPG

My goat pie next. I was like a kid at Xmas, could not wait. Would it live up to the expectation level that I had set?

Goat pie, parsnip mash and shallots (£16)

IMG_1943.JPG

Looking like a roasted cranium and to some not a thing of beauty, but it was to me.

Chrimes this was a big ballsy plate of food, sod those pathetic little Michelin portions. This is what I would crave as a final meal.

If someone was to ask what goat tastes like I would have to say "mutton", a strong mutton flavour. Not a heady overpowering gamey hit just a mellow full flavour.

IMG_1947.JPG

Fairly big pieces of slightly fatty meat,(thats not a criticism in any way btw). Eating very well indeed, but in need of an occasional dip of the deep rich sauce protecting the parsnip mash. Good buttery pastry, a none lumpy parsnip mash and sweet, sweet shallots. I devoured nearly all of it but had to admit defeat after reaching the last twenty percent of the mash having run out of the delicious sauce.

A big thumbs up from me.

My wifes dish next, and this would have been my second choice main Middlewhite Pork, celeriac puree, kale and apple chutney (£18)

IMG_1941.JPG

Again another butch plate of enjoyable food. A sizeable portion on an oversize plate. I tried the crackling, tried the pork, tried the chutney and would have been very happy on another visit to eat the whole plate on my own. Needless to say my Missus polished it off.

Dessert, no not really, but hey perhaps we could share one. Chocolate fondant? Lemon tart? Yogurt panna cotta? Ice cream? No the only oneof real interest was the Pear Tatin, almond praline ice cream (£5)

IMG_1952.JPG

Worth a fiver all day long, an absolute bargain and easily enough for two to satisfy any sweet tooth craving at the end of the meal.

Well for an unstuffy meal in a very now Soho this is a great addition. It is a victim of the current no bookings fad, however you can book at lunch, as we did. It was popular and seemed fully booked and they had to turn away a sizeable amount of business because of limitations outside of the normal lunch period, even though they also serve some very interesting bar snacks.

I am not really into wine but note should be made that the mark ups here are tiny by anyone's standards never mind by London standards.

We can without reservation (get it) recommend you try this place out. You can go the whole hog like we did or just try a starter, dessert combo, or main, dessert, or perhaps just even a main.

Happy chef Cameron Emirali

IMG_1954.JPG

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

David you were lucky,we had never tasted goat before last summer.Found it on the menu in our favourite local restaurant I ordered it the wife jibbed.It was disgusting a strong unpleasant flavour neither of us could eat it and we will eat most things!Told the owner and he said that it was most peoples reaction,he withdrew it from the menu the following week.I suppose it depends on the goat maybe next time you will not be so lucky. :hmmm:

Sid the Pig

These dishes look gorgeous and supremely edible.

And 'Burrata (Italian creamed cheese) sat atop and started to melt into the hot pasta' was pure poetry to me :smile:

These days this type of food is the only one that excites me besides proper fine dining - what irritates me are the ever more numerous middling places that instead of offering honest cooking like this (or say Medlar) go for minuscule portions that are just a mockery of high end cuisine, which needs super produce or monster technique or stunning culinary ideas or mega comfort & pampering (and hopefully more than one of these).