• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KFC 2012–

Toliver

"KFC brings back its fabled Double Down"

KFC is bringing back the Double Down, a bacon and cheese sandwich that uses two fried chicken filets as a bun. But like a spring chicken, it won't be around for long.

"Yes, it's true! What is arguably the most talked-about product in KFC history is coming back, but only for a limited time," said KFC spokesman Rick Maynard, in an email to CNNMoney.
He said the Double Down will be on the menu nationwide from April 21 to May 25.

He says "...the most talked-about product in KFC history..." like it's a good thing.  :hmmm:  :biggrin:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My mom loves eating KFC chicken so when I visited her during the recent holidays, I bought the regular KFC chicken + sides for dinner one night. She was in seventh heaven.

However, I swear there's something different about the chicken and not in a good way. It used to be that the breading/coating on the regular KFC chicken had a distinct spiciness (not "spicy hot" but "spicy" as in "you could taste the spices"). But not anymore. That spiciness seemed to be missing, turning their chicken into something dull and ordinary. 

Could it be that at the location where I bought the chicken they were under-seasoning their chicken? Is that even possible? I would assume KFC would provide the breading/coating premixed with spices for their franchises so something like this couldn't happen.

Or is this lack of spiciness pervasive throughout the chain?

Has anyone else noticed this KFC lack-of-spice phenomenon? Or was this just a one-off?

Tim Oliver

send me a coupon, as an attachment and Ill give it a taste !

:huh:

coupons are de Regueur.

its an easy and effective limiting technique for Fast Food.

BTW. I have 4 McD  coupons but they run out on the 11 th.

I have extremely limited experience here - very infrequent fast fooder - but I also am of the opinion their "regular" chicken has changed.

I now prefer the extra crispy - the 'old'  style seems soggy and not as good as anything I can produce at home.

Im also of the impression that KFC has removed all the skin.

back in the day. the reg. KFC was a marvel of delicious-ness, for Starving Students.

not the Mash, nor the Gravy

designed F.F. at its Peak.

This perceived loss of spiciness wouldn't apply to their extra crispy (which doesn't use their spices) or their grilled (skinless) chicken, which is brined/marinated.

This issue is just with the regular KFC fried chicken, AFAIK.

Tim Oliver

does the 'classic' fried chicken still have its skin attached ?

better go back and study this.

As far as I know, the "classic" (aka, Original flavor) does have the skin on. 

Tim Oliver

As far as I know, the "classic" (aka, Original flavor) does have the skin on. 

Yes it does.  I posted a pic of a bucket of it here - yes that was the "Classic" KFC.  I have to agree that it is somehow less tasty/crispy than from previously...but I hadn't had some for a little while anyway, and that bucket was from a franchise I had never bought from before.  (Local variations even in the same city are not unknown - e.g. Wendy's, McD's, etc *do* vary in the food they sell in my experience even though it is supposed to be "the same" within the same chain)

Yes it does.  I posted a pic of a bucket of it here - yes that was the "Classic" KFC.  I have to agree that it is somehow less tasty/crispy than from previously...but I hadn't had some for a little while anyway, and that bucket was from a franchise I had never bought from before.  (Local variations even in the same city are not unknown - e.g. Wendy's, McD's, etc *do* vary in the food they sell in my experience even though it is supposed to be "the same" within the same chain)

Absolutely agree. Back in the day when we actually ate KFC we would drive miles out of our way to one particular franchise. They got not only got the chicken right but also the gravy and the fries. The skin was properly crisped and spiced, the chicken was freshly cooked and finger-burning hot. It was always a special treat for a birthday or other celebration. I recently had a meal of KFC and was hugely disappointed. But I do not know where the fault lies -- in the chicken or in my memory!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's definitely different than what it was 30 years ago.

I think a big part of that is/are the change(s) in frying oil.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Well, Rats.

im not going to even try it, coupon or not.

In my area, the KFC is about 1/2 or 1/4 of a single item, retail

may be Yum Yum or not.

some sort of Yuk Pizza, some sort of Roll-Up  Pink-Slime thing-ey w an Old tortilla  ( cheep it is )

so I got Nothing here.

Rats.  

• 1 year later...

Just noticed a rather funny (as in "The Adams Family" funny) pair of tongs used in one of the KFC "Crispy Colonel" spots: Chicken Feet Tongs!

Tongs.jpg

Macabre and funny at the same time. Chicken feet tongs are a real thing (check eBay or Etsy), but they're usually not so...realistic.:B

• Like 5

Tim Oliver

I do believe that the quality does vary from store to store.  Unfortunately, the one KFC we have left locally is not that good so I haven't partaken in several years.  However when I was commuting to Tacoma, I used to like extra crispy.  I remember it still having the skin on.

i also agree with the posters who have noted the difference in quality over the years.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/5/2017 at 6:20 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I had not heard of the Chizza so I wen't to find out. Why, oh why, did I have go and do that? :o

God help us all. That's about the nastiest thing I've seen today.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

"We've secretly replaced the new product team at KFC with the editorial staff of High Times magazine. Let's see if our customers can tell the difference."

• Like 2

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

19 hours ago, kayb said:

God help us all. That's about the nastiest thing I've seen today.

I went to that link to check out the ‘Chizza' pizza. Absolutely revolting! The chicken crust sounds bad enough butt chicken ham and pineapple and a sweet sauce, I don't think so. Even worse, I checked out the links for the Burger King burgers. Bright-red Samurai hell-burgers: https://www.cnet.com/news/burger-king-japan-debuts-red-samurai-burgers/ and Burger King Japan unveils burger dark as night: https://www.cnet.com/news/black-cheese-burger-king-japan-unveils-burger-dark-as-night/  Can you imagine eating one of these for lunch before a business meeting or a job interview?

On 6/5/2017 at 4:55 PM, liuzhou said:

The dreaded Chizzas have turned up in China.

I haven't seen any here in Costa Rica, but then, I haven't checked for a while. They serve something here that is almost as bad. A chicken fillet topped with beans and rice, (called Gallo Pinto, Costa Rica's national dish) and coleslaw.

6 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I went to that link to check out the ‘Chizza' pizza. Absolutely revolting! The chicken crust sounds bad enough butt chicken ham and pineapple and a sweet sauce, I don't think so. Even worse, I checked out the links for the Burger King burgers. Bright-red Samurai hell-burgers: https://www.cnet.com/news/burger-king-japan-debuts-red-samurai-burgers/ and Burger King Japan unveils burger dark as night: https://www.cnet.com/news/black-cheese-burger-king-japan-unveils-burger-dark-as-night/  Can you imagine eating one of these for lunch before a business meeting or a job interview?

In a word: No.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com