• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast Adventures

CharlotteLuck

What, no 2 if by Sea with a nice crabcake or smoked salmon??

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

TN fries are Yukon gold potatoes cut in large dice. Cooked in an Herbed sugar/salt brine until cook tender. Then fried crispy and tossed with a herb and spice

mix. I agree, I think we should sell the funguy with fruit and sliced tomatoes when they are in season. I want to do a smoked salmon bagel Benedict and I might call it the two if by sea!!

A jazz musician can improvise based on his knowledge of music. He understands how things go together. For a chef, once you have that basis, that’s when cuisine is truly exciting.

What Holly said.

This weekend, my wife and I walked into and out of a diner because of their handling of home fries. A heap of them were sitting in a pool of butter-flavored oil at low temp at the back of the flattop, soaking it all up. Easiest system for the cook, of course, but not very appealing to those who sit at the counter and know anything about food -- the sorts you seem to be targeting. Made me want to ask you what your tater-handling system was going to be....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

IMAG0142.jpg

What Holly said.

This weekend, my wife and I walked into and out of a diner because of their handling of home fries. A heap of them were sitting in a pool of butter-flavored oil at low temp at the back of the flattop, soaking it all up. Easiest system for the cook, of course, but not very appealing to those who sit at the counter and know anything about food -- the sorts you seem to be targeting. Made me want to ask you what your tater-handling system was going to be....

I'm gonna par boil them in a salt/sugar/herb brine. cool and freeze them and cook them to order during service. They should take about three minutes to cook crispy. Here are the pics as wellIMAG0130.jpgIMAG0134.jpgIMAG0137.jpgIMAG0138.jpgIMAG0143.jpg

A jazz musician can improvise based on his knowledge of music. He understands how things go together. For a chef, once you have that basis, that’s when cuisine is truly exciting.

While your menu sounds great, all your choices are pretty big. It might make sense -- depending on your client base -- to have either a "small plate" section or "a la carte" options. I'm thinking of people like my parents -- they used to love to go out to breakfast, but never wanted anything quite that large. When given the option, they chose a couple of single items instead of a full breakfast, like one pancake and an order of bacon, or a single egg and toast.

Looks like the place is really coming along (and the menu sounds delish)! One thought -- I can't tell for sure from the photos, but you might want to consider replacing the ceiling tiles? For me, one of the most depressing things is a restaurant with a dingy / stained ceiling... Even painting the black straps (holding the ceiling tiles up) white would help brighten it up...

Enjoying this thread and looking forward to hearing about your grand opening day!

• 2 weeks later...

Today was our first day open and we did 10 covers. Everyone was very happy with everything. The first thing we sold was a 2 if by land. One guest loved the Chorizo chili. We should pick up towards the weekend!!

Today was our first day open and we did 10 covers. Everyone was very happy with everything. The first thing we sold was a 2 if by land. One guest loved the Chorizo chili. We should pick up towards the weekend!!

Mazel tov and break a leg and hope everything goes swimmingly!

• 1 month later...
http://www.theyolkcafe.com/ Come check us out open weekends from 8-2pm!!! We have some great reviews on Urbanspoon and Yelp!!! It is really a blessing and very humbling as a Chef.

http://www.theyolkcafe.com/ Come check us out open weekends from 8-2pm!!! We have some great reviews on Urbanspoon and Yelp!!! It is really a blessing and very humbling as a Chef.

Tell me more about this Short Rib Bread Pudding with Horseradish sauce (I'm assuming the horseradiah is a misspell) - sounds very intriguing.

Tell me more about this Short Rib Bread Pudding with Horseradish sauce (I'm assuming the horseradiah is a misspell) - sounds very intriguing.

It is a misspell. Lol it will be a sourdough and wheat bread base. Just like a sweet bread pudding I'm adding rosemary and caramalized onions and leaving out the sugar. I'm gonna shred the short rib and mix it in and bake it. With the leftover meat I'm gonna make a ragout with a reduction of the braising liquid!!

Edited by CharlotteLuck (log)

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/06/22/4066594/rock-hill-diner-balances-meat.html

This is nuts guys. It's our first 90 days and we have a great response in the community. Being a classically trained Chef seemed like a hindrance at first but people are really catching on and understanding what we are trying to do.

http://www.heraldonl...ances-meat.html

This is nuts guys. It's our first 90 days and we have a great response in the community. Being a classically trained Chef seemed like a hindrance at first but people are really catching on and understanding what we are trying to do.

Wow! Congratulations! That is just fantastic. Ya done good!

• 1 month later...

It's been great. The clientele have begun to trust me as a chef. Even though some may not know what a mushroom Sabayon is they still will give it a try. And people usually love the specialsIMAG0350.jpgphoto 2.JPG287246_514555275225938_1335205890_o.jpg These specials are coffee rubbed steak hash with sweet potato, carm. Onions, and mushroom buerre blanc; strawberry cheesecake pancakes;and warm cous cous salad with basil vin, cherry tomatoes and arugula!!

Hey dude - sounds great!

And if you're getting the covers, then doubly great!

Couple of comments:

1) Personally, I have always been a sucker for eggs benedict for breakfast. Looks like you've already got ham, poached eggs and hollandaise at various points on your menu... Maybe try the regulars and see what they say?

2) As a keen foody with a partner who is coeliac (celiac, gluten free, however you spell it!), I'm always keen to encourage calling out GF on menus where possible.

Neither are necessarily major revenue drivers, just my 4 cents worth

Recipe scribblings at http://foodyborris.wordpress.com/