• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decorating tools for transfer sheets and molds food safe?

JenBunk

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the safety of tools (paintbrushes/rollers) used for making your own transfer sheets and painting molds. I am always hesitant to use them as they are not food grade. What is your opinion on this? Am I overly cautious? Thanks!

Jenny

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com

I like the nylon/taklon brushes as they clean well. I try to get stainless tools if I can, but the the squeegies for transfer sheet manufacture and the screens just don't come food grade!

Thank you for responding. I think I am overly cautious:) I was thinking of using some rubber stamps and using a stencil dauber or roller as the applicator and wanted some opinions on food grade before I started. Thanks again!

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com

For me, right now is Wabbit season, and I do the "make-up" in my molds not with brushes, but with paper cornets--heck-uva lot faster. I do use small brushes for coloured cocoa butter, an these re invariably the 12-for-a-buck kiddies "artist" brushes: Nylon bristles and nylon handles.

If buying artist's brushes, satay away from painted or laqured handles, as the paint will invariably flake off if the brushes are washed. Stay away from "cooking/pastry brushes" as these are made with hog (pig) bristles and stink like wet pig when washed, they also shed hairs quickly. I've had good luck with silicone "BBQ" bruhes: big fat cloured silicone bristels that never shed, and I hardly ever wash them anyway, I just load them up with chocoalte, let it harden, and pull the brushg out.