• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking on a train

agaronthefloor

Good afternoon all,

I recently saw an ad on the craigslist website that was posted by amtrack, seeking to find a cook or cooks to work aboard their train. I'm curious to know if anyone on here has ever done this before. What is was like, how you got used to the swaying back and forth motion, and how many hours does one work in a day or a week. Also just not amtrack, it could be any type of railroad company.

agar

• 2 weeks later...

I've never cooked on Amtrak, but I've attended sessions on food menu/meal development on Amtrak & once was taken on a very short/quick tour of the kitchen on one of the Superliners. The trend on Amtrak is to provide almost prepared meals to the staff of the dining car and they are provided w/training on how to prepare/present the meals they are provided with. Breakfast eggs (scrambled, etc.) are still prepared (from eggs) on the train/prior to serving because so many passengers criticized the alternatives. Amtrak does have chefs (both for LD and for some regional trains) and they have been expanding the menus available, particularly on LD trains. Acela first class meals have long been chef designed; the food is very good.

The kitchens are on the lower level of the dining car in LD cars, the food is transported to the passenger level by dumbwaiters. The kitchen seemed pretty cramped/likely to be hot to me and the sleeping car attendant who gave me the short "tour" indicated that was the case.