• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mini Tacos

Paul Bacino

Full sized taco shell makers are metal with rubberized handles. I wouldn't use wood to deep fry with as it will get cooked along with the food. If you can fabricate something, I'd start with two perforated metal discs, bend them to the proper shape then figure out a way to attach a handle or hold with tongs while they fry nestled together with the shell inside.

I seem to remember reading somewhere about using aluminum foil as a form to keep the two sides from closing up.

PS: Found this link Here

And if you read through the comments you will find this:

"YOU CAN ALSO USE A TIN LID FROM A (2LB) CAN OF TOMATOS OR ANY OTHER PRODUCT YOU MAY PURCHASE..SAVE THE LID …FOLD IN HALF AND TAH DAH! YOU NOW HAVE A “MOLD” FOR DEEP FRYING YOUR TACO SHELLS ..JUST FORM THE SHELL AROUND, HOLD IT ON WITH TONGS ..DEEP FRY AND YOUR DONE."

Which I thought was pretty brilliant and a bit easier than folding all the foil.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I want to make mini tacos, for a ahi tuna appetizer!! I would like to either make my own or use wanton wrappers quick fried in oil?

I need to get the " u " shape? Dowel or form of some shape?

Thoughts?

TIA Paul

Lots of joints in Baja make deep fried folded over Ahi tacos as well as flautas... no need to preshape a "shell" unless you are specifically trying to make play on Tex-Mex / Taco Bell type food.

The best flautas will blow you away... the secret is to dissolve some ground lime in water & soak the already cooked tortillas.. this will allow two layers of "skin" to seperate on the surface which you peel off by hand then let the tortillas air dry... after that you put in some lightly seasoned fresh Ahi in 1/2 inch cubes & roll the flautas as tight as you can.. put three toothpicks.. near the ends & center... deep fry until barely golden... the fish will still be slightly rare in the center... serve with guac & arbol-tomatillo salsa.