• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Margarita Chocolate Truffles

Sue Casey

I make a Strawberry Margarita Truffle.

STRAWBERRY MARGARITA

50 g strawberry puree (reduced from 100 g)

150 g cream

40 g trimoline

20 g honey

400 g dark chocolate (54%)

30 g butter

20 g tequila

1/2 t lime oil

1/4 t orange oil

1/4 t lemon oil

I slab these and enrobe. For garnish, I use a little sea salt.

What size and thickness do you cast the slab?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Googling Margarita truffle or ganache does not seem to yield a plain Margarita ganache. Can anyone direct me to one? No extra fruits, please. Preferably in dark chocolate (I never keep any white or milk on hand). However, I'll buy whatever I need.

Thanks.

???Perhaps Margarit's lime, tequila, etc go better with white chocolate???

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Googling Margarita truffle or ganache does not seem to yield a plain Margarita ganache. Can anyone direct me to one? No extra fruits, please. Preferably in dark chocolate (I never keep any white or milk on hand). However, I'll buy whatever I need.

Thanks.

???Perhaps Margarit's lime, tequila, etc go better with white chocolate???

Seems to me a white chocolate ganache flavored with lemon zest/juice, lime zest/juice, orange zest, grand marnier, and a bit of tequila would create a very nice flavor. The lemon & lime would substitute for "sweet & sour mix", orange zest for the triple sec, and the rest is straight from the drink recipe.

I would use 1 lemon, 1 lime, 1/4 to 1/2 an orange for zest (depending on your taste), and grand marnier and tequila to taste. I'm going to have to work on this one. It sounds good.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Your Margarita ganache sounds like a good bet, lebowitz. I'll buy some white chocolate next time into the city. Thanks.

It might also be good with a mixed milk/dark chocolate ganache. I think a white shell or a dark shell decorated with white/orange/green would be a worthy experiment.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Your Margarita ganache sounds like a good bet, lebowitz. I'll buy some white chocolate next time into the city. Thanks.

It might also be good with a mixed milk/dark chocolate ganache. I think a white shell or a dark shell decorated with white/orange/green would be a worthy experiment.

Confectionery partner, Barbara, and I are making the ganache tomorrow :smile: along with Greweling's mixed color hard candy from the big book (a la Minas6907). Busy day ahead. Probably won't get the ganache dipped though. Barbara is bringing the white chocolate.

Of course all of this depends upon whether or not we get the threatened freezing rain!!! :sad:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Confectionery partner, Barbara, and I are making the ganache tomorrow :smile: along with Greweling's mixed color hard candy from the big book (a la Minas6907). Busy day ahead. Probably won't get the ganache dipped though. Barbara is bringing the white chocolate.

Of course all of this depends upon whether or not we get the threatened freezing rain!!! :sad:

So?!? Results please!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

So?!? Results please!

Alas, we got the freezing rain. If the school buses are cancelled...then you don't bother. We live about 45 country minutes apart. Rats. I need a cooking/baking/etc next door neighbor. I will report back when we get it done.

In the meantime, did you try your own recipe? Tastes would be better than photos, but photos will have to suffice.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

So?!? Results please!

Alas, we got the freezing rain. If the school buses are cancelled...then you don't bother. We live about 45 country minutes apart. Rats. I need a cooking/baking/etc next door neighbor. I will report back when we get it done.

In the meantime, did you try your own recipe? Tastes would be better than photos, but photos will have to suffice.

I haven't tried it yet, but I figure I'm going to wait for the eG chocolate workshop in a couple of weeks so I can share it with the group. I'll report back then.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Hi Lebowits. A good idea to try the ganache at the chocolate conference. (Wish I could ever get to one.)

Hi Tikidoc. I can get the powder in the Toronto area so I might to buy some. Let us know the results of your experiments with it.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Sorry to take so long to reply. I have been using 3/8 rulers to slab. After we enrobe, we use luster dust in liquid to decorate and then sprinkle the sea salt on top of that to get the initial salt taste and crunch. It has been a good way to use any leftover berries after Valentine's Day, Mothers' Day, etc.

Boy, do I wish I could attend the conference!

• 2 weeks later...

Today Barbara and I made and dipped the Margarita ganache.

Following Steve's directions, sort of, in my usual casual way:

butter - 3 oz

54% dark chocolate - 9 oz (Lindt)

Tequila - 2 tablespoons

Grand Marnier - 1 tablespoon

lime juice - 2 tablespoons

zest - one lime

Well, I used butter because I had no heavy cream. And Grand Marnier because I had no Tripe Sec or Cointreau. The Tequila is Sauza Silver.

I originally made the ganache with only 6 ounces of chocolate, but it was so soft that I added 3 more ounces.

Footed and dipped into 54% chocolate (Lindt)

Delicious. No photos. The photos would be of no help and I can't dip worth a darn. :raz:

Do keep in mind that I've had slushy Margaritas twice in my life and that, although I love the 'classic' Margaritas I make for myself, I have no idea of what they are supposed to taste like. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.