• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mette

Chocolates with that backroom finish

23 hours ago, keychris said:

it's simply called "chocolate showing you who's boss" :P

It won’t let me react with a “like,” a “ha-ha”, AND a “sad” reaction. But that’s my reaction. Lots of tears. Some from laughing. Some from crying ;).

• Like 1

Hi folks:  

Would anyone be able to help me diagnose the following (see pictures, empty mold, and turned out chocolates)

I sprayed the molds CB, they sat around for a good couple of days before I added tempered white chocolate. Filled them, capped them and you can see by the pictures, most of the cocoa butter stayed in the mold. I warmed the CB in the microwave, shook like mad, warmed some more, and then popped it into the sprayer. Any ideas? Thanks!2018-05-25_13-05-26_774.thumb.jpeg.9500624eadc09a4a7eb21a7b507bfd0a.jpeg2018-05-25_13-03-13_426.thumb.jpeg.1304f9a86966c62c1a2f85d9000eacec.jpeg

Edited by SweetandSnappyJen (log)

2 hours ago, SweetandSnappyJen said:

Hi folks:  

Would anyone be able to help me diagnose the following (see pictures, empty mold, and turned out chocolates)

I sprayed the molds CB, they sat around for a good couple of days before I added tempered white chocolate. Filled them, capped them and you can see by the pictures, most of the cocoa butter stayed in the mold. I warmed the CB in the microwave, shook like mad, warmed some more, and then popped it into the sprayer. Any ideas? Thanks!

So many possibilities but I would hone in on the fact that you let it sit around a couple of days. You certainly can do that but if you room temperature is fluctuating during that time you're asking for trouble. Of course the either the cocoa butter or the white could have just not been in temper to begin with. I would start again and try to control the variables one at a time.

Did they stick in the moulds or just drop out? Are they solid or filled? Did you measure the temperature of your cocoa butter before you sprayed it?

Thanks for the replies! They mostly dropped out, I did have to tap them a bit. I have a sneaking suspicion it was the temperature, that I tried to unmould them to soon. After those came out ruined, I tried my next mould of milk chocolate, and the two that came out, were also duds. But then I put them back in the fridge for a few hours and they came out perfectly. It *couldve* been the white chocolate, because my other mould of white, which did not have colored cocoa butter but did have a thin layer of brushed cocoa butter,  also came out dull. 

On 5/15/2018 at 6:57 PM, keychris said:

it's simply called "chocolate showing you who's boss" :P

Yes, chocolate is a cruel mistress. But so enticing, we keep coming back!

Curious case that I could use some help with. So, I was getting ready to fill a decorated mold, and accidentally filled an empty mold (don't know where my mind was). The mold was clean - I had just washed, alcoholed and re-wiped with a dry new cosmetic pad. It was clean and dry. For sure. Realizing what I had done I ploughed ahead and filled it (cardamom caramel and Rawandan espresso ganache). When I popped them out, they released immediately and had an appropriate shine - the temper was spot on...so was the other decorated tray which came from the same piping bag. I don't do plain brown chocolates so I went for the save by doing a gold luster white chocolate button and texture sheet. But here's the thing...they're sticky. Every one of them.There's no seepage. They're completely solid and crisp (I ate one to perform r&d). My kitchen runs a dehumidifier 24/7 at is holding steady at 35% like it always does. So what do you think happened? Why would the exterior be sticky?

Goldbutton.thumb.jpg.43f549850bcb041cbf8b71664997e994.jpg

I’ve had that happen before inconsistently. I think it has been caramels if I’m not mistaken.   And I think it has been dark chocolate.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

10 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I’ve had that happen before inconsistently. I think it has been caramels if I’m not mistaken.   And I think it has been dark chocolate.

Yes and yes in my instance. Why and more importantly how?

@gfron1 Were these left to set in the fridge? I've had this on exposed chocolate i.e. bars when i've left them in too long, or truffles have sometimes developed a sticky sheen after tap out due to being left too long in the cold (I have the memory of goldfish) 

58 minutes ago, understandingcocoa said:

@gfron1 Were these left to set in the fridge? I've had this on exposed chocolate i.e. bars when i've left them in too long, or truffles have sometimes developed a sticky sheen after tap out due to being left too long in the cold (I have the memory of goldfish) 

No. These didn't spend any time in the fridge. I keep my room colder than most (19º) but that's a far cry from my fridge.

@gfron1 are the shells on the plain bonbons significantly thinner than the shells on your other painted pieces? That’s the only thing I could think of since you said you didn’t refrigerate and hit the dew point.

5 hours ago, Daniel D said:

@gfron1 are the shells on the plain bonbons significantly thinner than the shells on your other painted pieces? That’s the only thing I could think of since you said you didn’t refrigerate and hit the dew point.

They weren't. In fact, they were a bit thicker than normal. I'm glad I'm not crazy for not knowing what happened.

• Like 1

Hello everyone!  I've been having a similar problem as @SweetandSnappyJen.  I made 10 molds of these bon bons.  Four of the molds came out (or well, didn't come out) like the first picture.  The other six molds came out great like the second picture.

1) Molds were polished with alcohol and then once again with dry cotton rounds.

2) Cocoa butter colors were tempered and sprayed at 30C and allowed time to set properly.

3) Room temp was 17-18C.  Humidity was 65% constantly. 

4) My dark chocolate was tempered properly and tested.  My shelling/working temp was 32-34C.  I suspect this is where I went wrong .  The molds that didn't come out were shelled first closer to 32C.  I felt my chocolate was getting a little think and cold so I heated it closer to 34C with a heat gun and then proceeded to shell the other 6 molds what came out fine.

5) The temperature of my ganache was around 30-31C when I filled them and left to crystalize overnight.

6) I capped them the next day and put them in the refrigerator for 15 mins and then took them out at come to room temp before unmolding them.

I'm guessing that the reason cocoa butter has been sticking to my molds is because my tempered chocolate is too cold when I am making the shells and that the cocoa butter isn't able to adhere to the chocolate.  Can someone confirm this?

My next question would be.......For dark, milk, and white chocolates each(I mainly use Valrhona if that helps)  what is the ideal working temperatures to be making the shells for molded bon bons?  I'm always worried about too cold and cocoa butter will stick to the mold.....too hot and I'll be out of temper.

Any help or advice is appreciated.  Thank you!

thumbnail_IMG_7216.thumb.jpg.ccfef3524c18b6e064d02311e0b42e4a.jpgWailua.thumb.png.07fb0c9a9d4d36bd69b53623da7d2599.png

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

As you noted - the warmer chocolate yielded better results. Having the shelling chocolate as warm as possible increases the success rate I've found.

Hi Kerry!  May I ask what you feel is the ideal temperature range and/or maximum temperature you work with for each dark, milk, and white chocolates?  (Without the use of eztemper.  Unfortunately, I'm don't have it available at my work for now)

1 hour ago, MoonChild said:

Hi Kerry!  May I ask what you feel is the ideal temperature range and/or maximum temperature you work with for each dark, milk, and white chocolates?  (Without the use of eztemper.  Unfortunately, I'm don't have it available at my work for now)

Kind of pushing it but 34.5 for dark 32.5 for milk

• Like 1

@MoonChild....17-18 is a bit cold for the room....personally I never get good results at those temperatures....try having the room at 20-22 °C and the humidity below 50 %

Always works well for me but your mileage may vary...

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Kind of pushing it but 34.5 for dark 32.5 for milk

Hmm......that's really helpful to know.  Especially the milk chocolate maximum.......I've definitely been shelling that and white chocolate way too cold then.  At 31C for milk and 29C for white.  I've kinda been following the temperature guides on the Valrhona bag so far, but it's nice to know I have a little flex and can go warmer.

4 hours ago, Avachocolate said:

@MoonChild....17-18 is a bit cold for the room....personally I never get good results at those temperatures....try having the room at 20-22 °C and the humidity below 50 %

Always works well for me but your mileage may vary...

That's kinda interesting.  I can raise the temp in my chocolate room, but trying to get the humidity low might be difficult here in Hawaii.  I'm curious though........I've always been under the assumption that a colder room is better for working with chocolate.  Could you please elaborate on how a cold room can negatively affect my results?  Thank you! 

5 hours ago, MoonChild said:

That's kinda interesting.  I can raise the temp in my chocolate room, but trying to get the humidity low might be difficult here in Hawaii.  I'm curious though........I've always been under the assumption that a colder room is better for working with chocolate.  Could you please elaborate on how a cold room can negatively affect my results?  Thank you! 

I prefer colder, about 65F/18C

if you can’t control humidity, stay on the cooler side, 22C/72F with 65% humidity is approaching nightmare territory 

@MoonChild....colder is not automatically better...there is a point of diminishing returns which happens for me at about below 20 °C

Your mold is colder and your chocolate cools down much quicker and gets harder to work with ...cold mold, cold cocoa butter layer and cooler chocolate means you have less time in the perfect temperature zone...your first couple of molds may come out fine but then as everything cools down you start to have problems.

And any humidity above 50 % really screws with my results (not sure the scientific reason though).

I have a dehumidifier in my chocolate room running 24/7 and pull 2-3 liters of water out of it every day...then again I live in the tropics.

14 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

I prefer colder, about 65F/18C

if you can’t control humidity, stay on the cooler side, 22C/72F with 65% humidity is approaching nightmare territory 

53 minutes ago, Avachocolate said:

@MoonChild....colder is not automatically better...there is a point of diminishing returns which happens for me at about below 20 °C

Your mold is colder and your chocolate cools down much quicker and gets harder to work with ...cold mold, cold cocoa butter layer and cooler chocolate means you have less time in the perfect temperature zone...your first couple of molds may come out fine but then as everything cools down you start to have problems.

And any humidity above 50 % really screws with my results (not sure the scientific reason though).

I have a dehumidifier in my chocolate room running 24/7 and pull 2-3 liters of water out of it every day...then again I live in the tropics.

Thank you both for your insight.  I kind of get the feeling that everyone's situation solutions are different.......even more after exploring other chocolate threads on these forums.  Supposedly, my work has two dehumidifiers for my chocolate room installed in my ceiling.  No matter what my work does, they can't get the humidity below 65%.  I think I can control my room temperature though......I'll have to look into it.  I'll probably test making bon bons in my room at both temps.  I feel like it's still a hit or miss for me and I can't get things to come out consistently way or the other.  One moment, I feel like I got it and things are looking good and then the next, my cocoa butter sticks.  I'm left asking myself...."Wait.....I did everything the same. Why did it work the last time, but not this time?"  Everyone here seems to have a lot of experience here.  Do you still have batches that are a complete fail or are you at a point now where everything cracks out clean every time?

4 hours ago, MoonChild said:

I kind of get the feeling that everyone's situation solutions are different...

That's the number one thing I've learned about chocolate work. There are zero rules written in stone. Each and every thing that one person says you must do will be countered by someone who will say "yeah, not so much". The upside of that is, chocolate doesn't seem to be nearly as finicky and unforgiving as I once believed. It's really just about tweaking the basic guidelines until they work for you. One thing that makes sorting advice easier is to automatically write off any advice that begins with "you must always do it exactly like this". :D

• Like 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• Similar Content

• By pastrygirl
      Anyone have a favorite recipe for chocolate cake using semisweet chocolate?  My usual chocolate cake recipe uses cocoa, but I have some samples of chocolate I want to use up for a workplace party.  Yes, I could make brownies or ganache frosting, or chocolate mousse or chocolate chunk cookies, just feeling like cake this weekend ...
    • By Beckykp27
      I'm trying to make bonbons with milk shells for the first time and I'm struggling. When I melt my milk chocolate it is really thick. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure humidity is not an issue. I'm concerned that my shells wont empty out well and I'll be left with no room for ganache. I tried adding some cocoa butter last time but it affected the flavor. 

Disclaimer: I'm using pretty cheap milk chocolate (Ghirardelli) cuz I'm still learning. If you think this is the only issue please let me know.
    • By Ciordia9
      We work with transfer sheets regularly but most of them are not double backed. By that I mean most of them are one layer, not backed with a white layer. I'm having a real problem with consistency in the thicker sheets as seen attached. We attach these individually as they come out of the enrober but it doesn't feel like we're getting enough heat penetration to do a full transfer.

Anyone share some tips on thicker applications like these? Our short run came out fine but as soon as we went into production of course the first batch ends up being shot.

• By cslas
      So a question about guitar cutters. I can see why they're a superior method for cutting ganache in terms of uniformity and efficiency, but I was wondering if there's something about cutting with a metal string that's superior to cutting with a knife? Perhaps a ganache would stick to the string less than the knife? Where I'm headed with this is, as someone who's just starting out and not ready to invest in a guitar cutter, I'm wondering if using a cheese lyre to cut ganache might be better than using a knife?
    • By BVWells
      Afternoon everyone. I know that some of you have taken classes with Melissa Coppel and I am finally going to bite the bullet and take one of her classes, but I don't know whether I should take her "Intensive Chocolate Workshop" class or her "Running a Chocolate Production" class. I hear all of her classes are great, but I'm just wondering which one would be better for an amateur home chocolate maker who is pretty confident in his tempering and ganache skills, but is looking to take that next step. Thanks in advance!!

Branden