• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mette

Chocolates with that backroom finish

6 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

I feel like I’ve read a few places to chill the shells for a few minutes in the fridge once they start to crystallize. I’ll have to look around and see. But that’s what I’ve always done and I’ve never had so much trouble :( .

That would be me - I always chill when making the shells - then a few minutes after backing off 

@Pastrypastmidnight I’ve had this same issue as well. At the chocolate shop where I apprenticed this never happened, but at home it would happen somewhat frequently. The only differences I could come up with were environment related: I switched from glass shelves in the fridge to wire shelving and I cooled the house down to 67-68F (I was working at 70-72F before). Both of these seem to have helped, but for some reason I still occasionally get one or two bonbons that like to stick back to the mold after initially crystallizing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel D said:

@Pastrypastmidnight I’ve had this same issue as well. At the chocolate shop where I apprenticed this never happened, but at home it would happen somewhat frequently. The only differences I could come up with were environment related: I switched from glass shelves in the fridge to wire shelving and I cooled the house down to 67-68F (I was working at 70-72F before). Both of these seem to have helped, but for some reason I still occasionally get one or two bonbons that like to stick back to the mold after initially crystallizing!

Thank you for the tips! I’m sorry it happens to you, but I’m glad I am not completely alone :) .

it's simply called "chocolate showing you who's boss" :P

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, keychris said:

It won’t let me react with a “like,” a “ha-ha”, AND a “sad” reaction. But that’s my reaction. Lots of tears. Some from laughing. Some from crying ;).

• Like 1

Hi folks:  

Would anyone be able to help me diagnose the following (see pictures, empty mold, and turned out chocolates)

I sprayed the molds CB, they sat around for a good couple of days before I added tempered white chocolate. Filled them, capped them and you can see by the pictures, most of the cocoa butter stayed in the mold. I warmed the CB in the microwave, shook like mad, warmed some more, and then popped it into the sprayer. Any ideas? Thanks!2018-05-25_13-05-26_774.thumb.jpeg.9500624eadc09a4a7eb21a7b507bfd0a.jpeg2018-05-25_13-03-13_426.thumb.jpeg.1304f9a86966c62c1a2f85d9000eacec.jpeg

Edited by SweetandSnappyJen (log)

2 hours ago, SweetandSnappyJen said:

Hi folks:  

Would anyone be able to help me diagnose the following (see pictures, empty mold, and turned out chocolates)

I sprayed the molds CB, they sat around for a good couple of days before I added tempered white chocolate. Filled them, capped them and you can see by the pictures, most of the cocoa butter stayed in the mold. I warmed the CB in the microwave, shook like mad, warmed some more, and then popped it into the sprayer. Any ideas? Thanks!

So many possibilities but I would hone in on the fact that you let it sit around a couple of days. You certainly can do that but if you room temperature is fluctuating during that time you're asking for trouble. Of course the either the cocoa butter or the white could have just not been in temper to begin with. I would start again and try to control the variables one at a time.

The cocoa butter that did come out looks nice and shiny - so I'm suspicious that your white chocolate might have been too cold when you put it in the mold. 

Did they stick in the moulds or just drop out? Are they solid or filled? Did you measure the temperature of your cocoa butter before you sprayed it?

Thanks for the replies! They mostly dropped out, I did have to tap them a bit. I have a sneaking suspicion it was the temperature, that I tried to unmould them to soon. After those came out ruined, I tried my next mould of milk chocolate, and the two that came out, were also duds. But then I put them back in the fridge for a few hours and they came out perfectly. It *couldve* been the white chocolate, because my other mould of white, which did not have colored cocoa butter but did have a thin layer of brushed cocoa butter,  also came out dull. 

On 5/15/2018 at 6:57 PM, keychris said:

Yes, chocolate is a cruel mistress. But so enticing, we keep coming back!

Curious case that I could use some help with. So, I was getting ready to fill a decorated mold, and accidentally filled an empty mold (don't know where my mind was). The mold was clean - I had just washed, alcoholed and re-wiped with a dry new cosmetic pad. It was clean and dry. For sure. Realizing what I had done I ploughed ahead and filled it (cardamom caramel and Rawandan espresso ganache). When I popped them out, they released immediately and had an appropriate shine - the temper was spot on...so was the other decorated tray which came from the same piping bag. I don't do plain brown chocolates so I went for the save by doing a gold luster white chocolate button and texture sheet. But here's the thing...they're sticky. Every one of them.There's no seepage. They're completely solid and crisp (I ate one to perform r&d). My kitchen runs a dehumidifier 24/7 at is holding steady at 35% like it always does. So what do you think happened? Why would the exterior be sticky?

Goldbutton.thumb.jpg.43f549850bcb041cbf8b71664997e994.jpg

I’ve had that happen before inconsistently. I think it has been caramels if I’m not mistaken.   And I think it has been dark chocolate.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

10 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I’ve had that happen before inconsistently. I think it has been caramels if I’m not mistaken.   And I think it has been dark chocolate.

Yes and yes in my instance. Why and more importantly how?

@gfron1 Were these left to set in the fridge? I've had this on exposed chocolate i.e. bars when i've left them in too long, or truffles have sometimes developed a sticky sheen after tap out due to being left too long in the cold (I have the memory of goldfish) 

58 minutes ago, understandingcocoa said:

@gfron1 Were these left to set in the fridge? I've had this on exposed chocolate i.e. bars when i've left them in too long, or truffles have sometimes developed a sticky sheen after tap out due to being left too long in the cold (I have the memory of goldfish) 

No. These didn't spend any time in the fridge. I keep my room colder than most (19º) but that's a far cry from my fridge.

@gfron1 are the shells on the plain bonbons significantly thinner than the shells on your other painted pieces? That’s the only thing I could think of since you said you didn’t refrigerate and hit the dew point.

5 hours ago, Daniel D said:

@gfron1 are the shells on the plain bonbons significantly thinner than the shells on your other painted pieces? That’s the only thing I could think of since you said you didn’t refrigerate and hit the dew point.

They weren't. In fact, they were a bit thicker than normal. I'm glad I'm not crazy for not knowing what happened.

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By JoNorvelleWalker
      For my purposes I have mastered the art of packaging chocolate bars, but search as I might I cannot find an eGullet thread or any information on packaging chocolate eggs.  I ask as I have an egg mold in transit.  Assuming I can successfully fabricate an egg, how can I wrap or package it?  All I can think of is cellophane.

I've seen pictures so I know some of you are making eggs.  Do not deny it.  When I was little and still celebrated holidays the neighborhood candy establishment sold eggs in windowed cardboard boxes with cellophane grass*.  That was the early 1950's.  Is this still the state of the art?

*cellophane grass tastes terrible.  And the ubiquitous coconut cream filling not much better.

• By melmck
      I am searching for a natural source of food colorings, to tint buttercream, & use in chocolate work. I don't like commercial FC, it is synthetic and toxic to boot. Has anyone found a good source/vendor who has naturally derived colorings
    • By eglies
      Hi there,
      i am moving into our lab next week so excited!!!! I have one million questions but the ones popping up in my head are
      1) If I have 6 moulded bonbon recipes to airbrush, fill and cover and 6 bars recipes to make for our production,how do you organise production? Can someone give me an example of their weekly plan am and pm plan just to get an idea? I have a Selmi 😀. 
      2) how many bonbons and bars should I produce just before we launch? I have my budgets and projections but you know those first weeks God knows how you will do! Should I be freezing from the beginning? And what is the ideal packaging way to freeze bonbons? 

Thank you so appreciate it! 
    • By eglies
      Hi there, Anyone use any specific equipment or product to clean chocolate from floors?