• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Mette

Chocolates with that backroom finish

67 posts in this topic

These ones did not even make it to the backroom - firmly stuck blackcurrant paté de fruit

(hint - make sure you use silicone paper to pour the PdF)

PDF.jpg

These ones did not even make it to the backroom - firmly stuck blackcurrant paté de fruit

attachicon.gifPDF.jpg

Oops. Is that madpapir?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

attachicon.gifPDF.jpg

Oops. Is that madpapir?

Oops, indeed.....Madpapir (greaseproof sandwich wrapping paper) is NOT the same as silicone paper....

I find PDF peels right off acetate with no problems.

Here's my latest back room finish lovely delight. I was experimenting on whether I could have my transfer sheet on the sheet pan and just slide the chocolate onto the transfer sheet after dipping to save time from cutting each square and putting it on top of each chocolate. Well as you can see, that didn't work out so well. Didn't help that my chocolate was a little cooler and thicker than I really wanted it to be (as I was doing a small batch I didn't pull out the melter). The one plus to the whole ordeal was that I finally used a wire across the bowl for scraping, and everyone is right, that works SO much better!

IMG_1231-resized.jpg

Edited by YetiChocolates (log)

Willow I think that your experiment would work if your chocolate was warmer and more fluid. I have dipped pieces and put them on a texture sheet... worked quite well.Give it another try!

Edited by curls (log)

I haven't made any confections for probably over a year now, and figured I had better get warmed up for the 2014 Chocolate & Confections Workshop: I sort of hoped it would be like riding a bike, so of course I didn't bother reviewing any written instructions or anything intelligent like that. It took me three tries to get the temper right (tabling), but I did finally manage to nail that. However, I overheated the colored cocoa butter, I forgot to smack the molds when casting the shells, and I let the chocolate get too cool (so the shells are too thick). Doh!

DSC_1185.jpg

Moral of the story: read over your notes before trying something you haven't done in a long time!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

Here's what happens when your cello covered bunnies/eggs are exposed to the sun.  Laser beams of light develop.  Strange that they seem to have gone for the eyes!

Just like burning ants with a magnifying glass.

ooh - i could fill this whole thread by myself.  have been experimenting with airbrushing and stencils.  it feels like it WILL work - eventually - bit it really isn't at the moment...

20150213_170333_zps8mwepj2a.jpg

1 person likes this

A case of the "3am not checking temper properly" Christmas rush...

078d6ed11050fc61c1101b7699c85c4a.jpg

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

Oooh I'm so glad this thread was started as I know I'll have a LOT to post here! :) 

I sprayed some molds with CB a few days ago, and then cast, filled, and covered them today.

Attached are images of my results:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1.  Corners:  The chocolate didn't reach the corners.  I have one of those small vibrating tables and I gave it a good amount of time on it (~1min).  The chocolate was also thinner because I threw in a little cocoa butter (knowing that I had corners to fill!), but still no dice.

2.  Cocoa butter finish:  The rectangles came out somewhat glossy, while the trianglular ones are splotchy with little circles (see close-up).  I did hit the molds with a couple of seconds with the heat gun because it was a bit chilly in my kitchen, but perhaps I gave it too much heat on the triangular mold?  Arrgghh soo frustrating!!  

Do you guys paint chocolate in your molds with a brush (prior to pouring chocolate in and then out) to ensure the corners are filled in?  

17 hours ago, pastryani said:

Oooh I'm so glad this thread was started as I know I'll have a LOT to post here! :) 

I sprayed some molds with CB a few days ago, and then cast, filled, and covered them today.

Attached are images of my results:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1.  Corners:  The chocolate didn't reach the corners.  I have one of those small vibrating tables and I gave it a good amount of time on it (~1min).  The chocolate was also thinner because I threw in a little cocoa butter (knowing that I had corners to fill!), but still no dice.

2.  Cocoa butter finish:  The rectangles came out somewhat glossy, while the trianglular ones are splotchy with little circles (see close-up).  I did hit the molds with a couple of seconds with the heat gun because it was a bit chilly in my kitchen, but perhaps I gave it too much heat on the triangular mold?  Arrgghh soo frustrating!!  

Do you guys paint chocolate in your molds with a brush (prior to pouring chocolate in and then out) to ensure the corners are filled in?  

Did the cocoa butter not get into the corners, or did it get left there because of the bubbles?

I get the same thing, there will be cocoa butter in the corners of the mould still :D

1 person likes this

Edit:  Pastrygirl - the CB did get into the corners, but didn't stick to anything because of the bubbles.

Edited by pastryani (log)

• Similar Content

• By curls
      Looking for your opinions and experiences... I am planning to put some wire shelving in my chocolate & confections kitchen. The kitchen has a concrete floor. This shelving will hold ingredients, colored cocoa butters, and packaging. Wondering if I should get casters for this shelving... what are your thoughts on this oh so important question?  ;-)
    • By DianaB
      I've used Valrhona Ivoire white chocolate as a base for various ganache recipes for some time after failing to create a good ganache with other white chocolate including Callebaut, a brand I otherwise like.  Valrhona is expensive compared to other brands available here in England but Vente Privée offers it at a good discount several times each year.  There is a Valrhona sale this week: 
      https://secure.uk.vente-privee.com/ns/en-gb/operation/57934/classic/3642874/catalog

That link is to the English site but I know the company operates in other countries. You need to become a member to buy from the site, not sure why but it is free and you aren't obliged to buy anything.  

I've already placed an order, popular products sell out fast.  Since ordering I have read various posts in the Pastry and Baking thread that have left me wondering if I should be using Opalys as my white chocolate rather than Ivoire.

Do any of you have experience of both variants of Valrhona's white chocolate?  I would be grateful for any advice you can provide on using them in baking or chocolate making.
    • By JohnT
      To all the chocolate lovers, manufactures and those experimenting with chocolate - have a happy day! So, to celebrate the day I have an order for a batch of Chocolate Peppermint Crisp Tarts for one of my retail outlets. What are you doing to celebrate the day?
    • By Bentley
      I'd like to do a smores flavor and a few other uses of marshmallows in some molded chocolates.  Can anyone give me some guidance on preparing marshmallows so that I can pipie them into the molds?  I see a problem similar to the PDFs....by the time they are cool enough to put in the chocolate shells, they are too firm to pipe.   Anyone have any tips, pointers, suggestions, etc.?