• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon sorbet

brokenscale

I cant find my copy of on baking and I need the lemon sorbet recipe because i know its not too tart and it comes out perfect every time. Anyone have a FULL PROOF recipe, I have a culinary comp in the morning. Yes I know why did i wait so long to prep. Because I just got the mystery basket today and I had to work till just now...

Yeah, if your in a class you should sort of have that book around. From On Cooking 3rd edition:

1 pt. Lemon Juice

1 pt. Water

1 lb. Granulated Sugar

Just checked my other book, its the same exact recipe/procedure as in On Baking

Edited by minas6907 (log)

Without lemon zest the sorbet is going to taste like watered down lemon juice. All the lemon flavour is in the zest.

You can keep the zest in, or make the mix a day or two before and then strain it out.

AND, if you really think about it, when you boil up the sugar/water syrup, that is the perfect opportunity to infuse a little flavour: Lemon grass,(bashed up) lime leaf, hint of lime, etc..

i ended up having the second best ice cream in the competition. Lost to a guiness lmao. The booze always wins. I ended up using a david lebowitz recipe i found in another book and it came out great. Added a little extra sugar his recipe wasnt sweet enough. Turned out great.