• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casseroles

Shel_B

I've never made a casserole and now it seems that they may be a good choice for a number of reasons. I'd like to get some ideas for vegetable or veg and meat dishes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I rarely use a "recipe" per se for casseroles but then I have been preparing them for several decades.

I have a "vintage" cookbook I think was published in the '60s, that I sometimes refer to.

However, there are plenty of online recipes and one that I have mined for some interesting and fairly easy casseroles (and recommended to novice cooks) is the collection of casserole recipes on Martha Stewart's Delish site.

The recipes are varied and interesting, some quite simple and others a bit more involved, but all are doable for anyone with basic kitchen knowledge.

I have prepared the Cottage Pie with sliced potatoes (different from the usual CP), and the Lighter Eggplant Parmesan which I found to be excellent.

I prepared the Chicken-Sausage and Bean Casserole with Sage but used turkey/cranberry sausage as that was what I had on hand.

I've also made the Pastitsio and this recipe is a bit easier than some I have tried.

Also on the site is 31 Days of Casseroles which should have enough variety to suit anyone.

From that list I made the Ham, Guyere and Spinach bread pudding but substituted chard for the spinach. It is very tasty.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks for the pointers. There are a few good ideas there, although so many of the recipes are very heavy on carbs and pretty light on vegetables. However, I am mostly interested in ideas, not specific recipes.

... Shel

Thanks for the pointers. There are a few good ideas there, although so many of the recipes are very heavy on carbs and pretty light on vegetables. However, I am mostly interested in ideas, not specific recipes.

In my experience, most casseroles are heavy on carbs. They need carbs to provide texture so you don't just have baked goop. Casseroles are also often intended to be one dish meals so you expect to see a little bit of everything (including carbs).

If you wanted to avoid carbs and you could substitute eggplant for noodles or maybe add high fiber or low carb nuts for crunch (Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans, Macadamia).

What are the reasons you are looking to start cooking casseroles? Are you planning to make them ahead of time?

ETA: Clarification

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

If you wanted to avoid carbs and you could substitute eggplant for noodles or maybe add high fiber or low carb nuts for crunch (Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans, Macadamia).

What are the reasons you are looking to start cooking casseroles? Are you planning to make them ahead of time?

I didn't mean to suggest that I wanted to avoid carbs, rather, I found the recipes heavy with them. I'd like to reduce my carbo load, not eliminate it.

Casseroles interest me because I've recently been going to family gatherings and pot lucks where, it seems, such dishes are welcome and enjoyed by many of the guests. Plus, as my schedule has gotten busier, it's nice to have something in the fridge that can be quickly warmed and reheated.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

We have this group of dog folks plus dogs stay over at the farm every August. This has been between 6 and 26 people and 6 and 25 dogs. Yes, it is busy. Dogs can certainly complicate the feeding of humans.

And each year I say that I'm not going to do as much work next year and it seems to me that casseroles might help although I've made to date only one Mexican casserole. I make Lasagna and Moussaka...I guess these are casseroles?

The thought of many casseroles I've read about makes me just about gag. There's just something about the concept which doesn't appeal to me. Must be some childhood memory...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

For your purposes, I'd suggest you take a look at some recipes you might already be making stovetop and consider just pouring them into a casserole dish to take to your gatherings. You can sprinkle the top with cheese, or croutons, or breadcumbs or something to give it that 'casserole' look.

I've got quite a number of recipes like that. One is a Mexican squash recipe that I've actually posted on eG somewhere. It's got summer squash, green chiles, corn, tomatoes, grated cheese. I make it stovetop just as the recipe says, but don't add all the cheese. Then I pour it into a casserole dish, top with the rest of the cheese, and some seasoned breadcrumbs. Bake it and take it.

Didn't start out as a casserole. But I bake and serve it like one.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

It seems like serendipity that a little while ago I received an email from a friend who included a link to a recipe listed on this recipes for Southern Foods site.

Some time ago we had discussed (in person) if there was any way of using up the leftovers from a large corned beef brisket other than sandwiches or hash and etc.

She found the Reuben Casserole from this list mentioned on a foodie blog and backtracked to this page and was delighted to find a long list of casseroles, some quite new to her.

She prepared the Reuben Casserole ahead of time and had it in the fridge so her husband and son could reheat it for their dinner while she was away overnight.

She reports that it was a great success and was enough for three grown men, all hearty eaters, as one of her son's friends stayed for dinner.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Holy hot dish, Andi! :raz: Some of those sound great; gotta bookmark that page fer sure! Thanks for the link.

I've some defrosted smoked pork chops (I thought they were regular chops) and am going to use them in the Pork Chop Casserole with Sweet Potatoes.

I think the flavor of the sweet potatoes will tone down the smokiness of the chops, which are usually a bit too strong for my taste when cooked alone.

I've some defrosted smoked pork chops (I thought they were regular chops) and am going to use them in the Pork Chop Casserole with Sweet Potatoes.

I think the flavor of the sweet potatoes will tone down the smokiness of the chops, which are usually a bit too strong for my taste when cooked alone.

Andi, maybe if you blanched the smoked chops for about 30 seconds or so, it would take a little of the smokiness out, while leaving the flavour? You can also find casserole recipes here. Even though it's sponsored by Kraft, the recipes sound pretty decent!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Also, I'm going to prepare this small version of this famous dish tomorrow. Lasagna Timpano

One of my neighbors is coming for dinner - and to watch a DVD she just got from her children, who are in South Africa on sabbatical. (Her DVD player won't play it. Mine is an "all region" player.)

A few of my favorite casseroles:

Squash casserole, with lightly sauteed squash and onions, cheese, cracker crumbs, white sauce. Spices of your pleasure.

Enchilada pie: A 9-inch deep dish pie shell accomodates this well. Layer flour tortillas, browned beef with Mexican seasonsings of your choice, drained whole-kernel corn, drained and rinsed black beans, salsa or tomato sauce, cheese. Repeat.

Tamale pie: Essentially the same ingredients, but a masa/cornmeal batter on the bottom and top.

+1 on the pastitsio and the moussaka/eggplant parmesan (depending on how you wish to season your tomato sauce)

The inimitable Hash Brown Casserole, one of the two remaining things for which I keep "cream of" soups in my pantry -- a 2-pound bag of hash browns, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, caramelized onions, sour cream, sauteed peppers if you want 'em, diced and browned bacon, cheese of your choice, all mooshed up together, topped with either crumbled corn flakes or crumbled potato chips. Mainstay of many and many a church dinner-on-the-ground. And if you have not been to a dinner-on-the-ground, you have not lived.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I did a riff on a turkey divan casserole that was delicious and low carb. I used Costco's precooked whole turkey breast, cut into thick chunks and layered with blanched broccoli florets, and some gruyere. Made a tasty bechemel (adding some chicken demiglace) and poured over it. Then topped with fresh buttered bread crumbs, which of course got wonderfully crunchy when the casserole was baked.

I did a riff on a turkey divan casserole that was delicious and low carb. I used Costco's precooked whole turkey breast, cut into thick chunks and layered with blanched broccoli florets, and some gruyere. Made a tasty bechemel (adding some chicken demiglace) and poured over it. Then topped with fresh buttered bread crumbs, which of course got wonderfully crunchy when the casserole was baked.

I like that idea. Been in a broccoli mood lately as well.

... Shel