• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Champagne cocktail

There are many ways to make a Champagne cocktail, far beyond a matter of different proportions of agreed-upon ingredients. What, in your opinion, is the definitive Champagne cocktail? Please be as specific as possible about the Champagne or sparkling wine, as the case may be.

Hi Sandra,

The Champagne Cocktail has a long pedigree, the recipe fist appeared in the 1862, first edition of Jerry Thomas’s How to Mix Drinks or The Bon Vivant’s Companion with exactly the same recipe as we use today Champagne, sugar and Angostura Bitters. In Europe the recipe is altered with the addition of a splash of cognac, I prefer the original.

As for champagne versus sparkling wine?… That is a call that ones finances may have more to do with than ones taste buds. I am impressed with the quality of the sparkling wines coming out of many countries today and would not be unhappy with a Champagne cocktail made with one of them. BUT none the less it is called the CHAMPAGNE cocktail and if you can swing I would definitely prefer the real McCoy.

Here is my recipe:

CHAMPAGNE COCKTAIL

Champagne

Angostura bitters soaked sugar cube

Place the Angostura soaked sugar cube in the bottom of a champagne glass and fill the glass with champagne. Pour slowly to avoid spillage. This drink is sometimes garnished with a lemon peel.

Variation: For a stronger drink, add a float of cognac or Grand Marnier.

Dale