• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did I EAT?! Purple, Wobbly... Vietnamese?

I've had the green and white striped ones, which were sold to me as "lotus cakes" - and now I'm seriously craving them. Gee, thanks, GR - I'm going to have to make them now, because we don't even have anything remotely resembling a Vietnamese bakery / store within about half a continent. :sad:

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

• 2 weeks later...

I used the recipe here

http://pwmf.blogspot.com/2005/10/bnh-da-ln-steamed-tapioca-layered-cake.html

I think that recipe makes enough for two "cakes".

Be light on the greasing of the pan, as the oil seeped up and the first 2 layers dont stick together as well.

Also, you can freeze the slices in a vacuum bag and nuke em (wrapped with wet paper towels) to reconstitute

the "elasticky springiness" (for lack of better words)

I added food color as the pandan leaves didnt color sufficiently

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I used the recipe here

http://pwmf.blogspot.com/2005/10/bnh-da-ln-steamed-tapioca-layered-cake.html

I think that recipe makes enough for two "cakes".

Be light on the greasing of the pan, as the oil seeped up and the first 2 layers dont stick together as well.

Also, you can freeze the slices in a vacuum bag and nuke em (wrapped with wet paper towels) to reconstitute

the "elasticky springiness" (for lack of better words)

I added food color as the pandan leaves didnt color sufficiently

Ooo... How large are the cakes this recipe yields? It doesn't say what size pan is used, what size did you go with?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

As large or small as you want them...

The batter doesnt get thick until cooked so you can make several hand sized cakes until its all used up.

Read the recipe, it explains your purple colored one

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!