• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jack O'Shea's turfed out of Selfridges...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-24036268-sacked-selfridges-butcher-who-sold-foie-gras-under-the-counter.do

Went in there yesterday and sure enough the entire butchery area boarded up.

Completely bonkers decision by Selfridges. This was the best place to get meat in town by a long shot. Complete pillocks to close it down. Fantastic beef, the only place I know to get reliable supplies of iberico pork, chicken carcasses, canard or sang, bresse chickens. What wasn't to like (apart from the fact they didn't sell foie gras... OK we have Wyndhams Poultry for that).

Some vague pretext about "risks of cross-contamination between raw and cooked meat," and issues surrounding temperature control, sell-by dates and "lack of proven traceability". If there really was an issue (which I doubt) well fix it. Cutting off your nose lips and eyebrows to spite your face really doesn't help anyone.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-24036268-sacked-selfridges-butcher-who-sold-foie-gras-under-the-counter.do

Went in there yesterday and sure enough the entire butchery area boarded up.

Completely bonkers decision by Selfridges. This was the best place to get meat in town by a long shot. Complete pillocks to close it down. Fantastic beef, the only place I know to get reliable supplies of iberico pork, chicken carcasses, canard or sang, bresse chickens. What wasn't to like (apart from the fact they didn't sell foie gras... OK we have Wyndhams Poultry for that).

Some vague pretext about "risks of cross-contamination between raw and cooked meat," and issues surrounding temperature control, sell-by dates and "lack of proven traceability". If there really was an issue (which I doubt) well fix it. Cutting off your nose lips and eyebrows to spite your face really doesn't help anyone.

J

Ridiculous

Used to love going there - Jack is a top bloke and incredibly knowledgeable, down to earth and friendly. I think we once spent about 15 minutes discussing steak cooking techniques.

Produce was always fantastic there - part of me hopes that no-one ends up in their place and people stop using the food section there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm. Anyhow this is a promising sign!

http://www.jackoshea.com/

-----------------

BUSINESS AS USUAL

My Dear darling customers,

We are absolutely humbled and in awe with your continued support over the fois gras incident, but that's history - it's turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

We are also delighted to announce that we have found an incredible new shop in Central London from where we can continue to cater for all your meat requirements both wholesale and retail. In keeping with our high standards the site is fully EU certified.

Work has also started on a brand new online shop which will enable us to deliver first class meat to the whole of the British Isles and the European mainland.

In the meantime you can also send your orders to orders@jackoshea.com or feel free to speak directly to me or Les on the numbers below.

My warmest regards,

Jack O'Shea.

Thiobraid Arainn Abu!

ps. to my Brussels crew your support and well wishing have not gone unnoticed and I'll see you soon .

Jack: 07795083010 (text is best!)

Les: 07718 320 204

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

• 3 months later...

O'Sheas Butchers in Knightsbridge (run by Jacks brother). Co-incidently that's what I had for dinner last night:

Iberico pork uncooked.jpg

Iberico Pork.jpg

Served with lightly spiced carrots, kale and a garnish/condiment thing made of plum, ginger and a red wine vinegar reduction. Really good pork, excellent marbling.

Expensive but worth it, as good as the stuff Jack used to get (probably the same supplier)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"