• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Chris Hennes

eG Foodblog: Chris Hennes (2012) - Chocolate, Tamales, Modernism, etc.

329 posts in this topic

Speaking of parties: in the interest of completeness, I think I ate three Doritos at the party I was at tonight. Sorry, no photos...

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Onions poached in butter for two hours? Delicious. I expect they would be pretty caramelized. Mix up a quick French Onion soup?

No, not caramelized at all, if I do it right: they are supposed to remain white, according to the recipe. And no beef stock on hand, alas. I'm trying to think of things I could fry them up with: presumably they will completely disintegrate, so that has to be OK in the dish.

I can't think of much of anything that wouldn't benefit from that. Except maybe ice cream.

Soubise, maybe?

Or I'd put it into a white sauce and make a hellacious scalloped potato casserole.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I appreciate all of the shout-outs for the smothered onion recipe, but all credit should go to Marcella Hazan. Chris, yours looks nice!

Chris, I am enjoying your adventurous cooking very much and will be sorry to see this blog end.

I'm just catching up on your blog after a busy week.

This is what we use for composting:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canopy-12-Liter-Oval-Step-Can-Stainless-Steel/15728015

The foot pedal means we don't have to touch the stuff while cooking but it stays closed. There is a plastic liner that can be taken out to dump the contents, and rinsed when needed. It doesn't look ugly, and it is fairly inexpensive. And since the food contacts the plastic liner not the steel, it holds up pretty well. As for our compost pile, I have horses, so everything is just incorporated into the considerable manure pile at the back of the property.

Where did you get your wok stand? It looks like something I would love to get for our patio!!!

Thanks for a great week!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

great week

thx!

Oh, thanks, rotuts. Another must have for when we finally build an outdoor kitchen. We moved and still own our old home, and need to sell that first... :sad:

It ain't over yet, folks: today is a big cooking day, I have a ton of components to make for the Modernist Cuisine Onion Tart, and am hoping to squeeze in a duck confit while I'm at it.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

A question regarding the lasagne: Your Béchamel sauce seems very thick. Is that because the fresh pasta needs less liquid or do you always make it this way? I've never seen it made so paste-like.

That was great, Chris. I learned a lot from your efforts. Many thanks.

(looking forward to today's work too!)

Edited by Trev (log)

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Thanks Chris!

A question regarding the lasagne: Your Béchamel sauce seems very thick. Is that because the fresh pasta needs less liquid or do you always make it this way? I've never seen it made so paste-like.

It is a bit thicker (25% more roux) than a standard thickness bechamel, and it's also at refrigerator temperature.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Quick update before I run back to the stove: first, breakfast... a one-pump, nonfat, no-whip mocha

Starbucks.jpg

And, getting started on the onion stuff:

Onions on burner.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I've been enjoying this immensely. Now finish with a bang!

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

What do the labels say next to the pans?

The recipe it is for, the quantity, and what stage they are being cooked to.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Haha really! Imagine someone throwing ingredients in the general direction of pots and pans and you have me...

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By Kasia

I prepared two versions: the first one with desiccated coconut and blueberries and the second with dark chocolate and strawberries. Choose your favorite dessert or go crazy and make your own version.

Bright dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      200g of white chocolate
      100g of blueberries
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      200ml of mascarpone cheese
      2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut

Melt 150g of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8 cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the white chocolate and the desiccated coconut and stir thoroughly. Wash the blueberries and drain them. Put the first chocolate circles onto a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of blueberries and once again chocolate, cream and blueberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. 
      Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

Dark dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of cocoa
      a couple of strawberries
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      200ml of mascarpone cheese

Melt 150g of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the dark chocolate and the cocoa and stir thoroughly. Wash the strawberries and remove the shanks. Leave 3-4 nice bits of fruit for decoration, and cut the rest into small pieces. Put the first chocolate circles on a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of strawberry pieces and then once again chocolate, cream and strawberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

• By KennethT
      OK.... here we go again!!!  While this post is a bit premature (we don't take off until around 1:30AM tonight), I am extremely excited so I figured I'd just set up the topic now.  As in previous foodblogs, I may post a bit from time to time while we're there, depending on how good my internet connection is, and how much free time I have... but the bulk of posting will really get started around July 9th - the day after we get home (hopefully without too much jetlag!!!)
    • By ChristysConfections
      I have an opportunity to work as the head chocolatier for a local chocolate business. I will be going in to discuss with the owner tomorrow. I am notorious for undervaluing myself and my skills, but I want to change that. I have worked in the industry for 10 years and worked in one of the larger artisan local chocolate companies for 5 years. Does anyone know what the going hourly rate it for this type of position? I would be developing new recipes and running all production operations myself. It's only a part time gig (at the moment, as they have very small production). I will continue with my own business on the side for now - the owner knows this and is completely comfortable with it. I would possibly even be able to be the successor to this business once the owner retires. 

Also, anyone have input on working as an employee while developing recipes for another business? I feel so protective of my recipes that I will be sad to see some become the property of another business. I guess it is just all part of the nature of this line of work. I could be a sub-contractor and just provide this company with product, but they would prefer that I work and consult with them in-house and utilize their facilities.  
    • By ChristysConfections
      I keep running to you with all my questions! This community always have the best answers.

I am wondering about the use of honey in ganache to act like invert sugar - binding with the water to lower the Aw. Has anyone used it successfully in the capacity? I usually use invert sugar in my ganaches, but I there are some more health-conscious customers that I know would love to see me move away from sugar. I'm not sure that I am willing to do it, but I will certainly explore the option! 

My main concerns are efficacy at preserving, its taste, and its texture. My personal experience has been that is is difficult to get the flavour of honey to challenge the more dominant flavour of chocolate, so I'm not exceedingly worried about the honey flavour being too strong. However, honey does crystallize when left to sit, unlike invert sugar. Has anyone experienced honey crystallizing in ganache or do the other ingredients present prevent it from doing so? I will eventually be doing some experimenting, but I thought I would test the waters first. 

Thanks!
    • By ChristysConfections
      Hi All!

I know this has surely been talked about, by my search for this information on the forums has been challenging. Would anyone care to share their favourite brand of coloured cocoa butter for decorations chocolate molds, etc? One with a diverse selection of colours. Or do you find it preferable to melt cocoa butter and add a fat-soluable powdered colour?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Christy

p.S. I was just reading about Kerry's EZ temper and I simply MUST HAVE ONE! Wow! What a brilliant product! Kudos, Kerry!