• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Chris Hennes (2012) - Chocolate, Tamales, Modernism, etc.

Chris Hennes

Chris,

Did you use the onions from the butter anyplace? It looks like they could be used in the gratin, especially if I need to significantly increase the quantity of the gratin. I did some shopping today and will make a trial run at this one later in the week.

Paul Eggermann

Vice President, Secretary and webmaster

Les Marmitons of New Jersey

Dinner tonight was a hot lentil salad and asparagus. The lentils were cooked sous vide yesterday with a massive pouch of vegetables (the veg were discarded)

Sous vide lentils.jpg

I used distilled water this time and it made a huge difference, the lentils came up perfectly tender, and very few had split. Today I made some massive asparagus I picked up at Whole Foods last weekend:

DSC_0763.jpg

These are bagged with a little water, olive oil, and salt, and cooked at 85°C/185°F for 15 minutes.

DSC_0767.jpg

DSC_0780.jpg

Meanwhile, I prepared the rest of the ingredients for the lentil salad:

DSC_0774.jpg

Those are dried cherries, pecans, and a sour cherry vinaigrette. Toast the pecans, of course:

DSC_0776.jpg

I wanted some greens in the salad, so I went out the the lawn near my herb garden:

DSC_0786 (1).jpg

Those weeds? Not your normal weeds:

DSC_0788 (1).jpg

Shot of my cilantro, for kicks:

DSC_0789.jpg

So, I plucked some parsley from the lawn and chopped my ingredients:

DSC_0794.jpg

I wanted a sauce for the asparagus, so I decided to try to do an egg yolk and lemon juice sauce thickened just slightly sous vide:

DSC_0798.jpg

My favorite egg yolk sous vide bag:

DSC_0802.jpg

Once the asparagus were done I dropped the temp to 65°C, the temp for a gel-like egg yolk, and added the mixture:

DSC_0807.jpg

Unfortunately, it turns out that was too warm, I wanted a runny, flowing sauce, and was hoping that cooking the yolk to gel and being thinned out with the lemon juice would give me that, but instead the whole thing came out as a thick gel. Oh well, now I know... it tasted good, anyway.

DSC_0813.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

If you ask a mountain climber at the top of El Capitan whether the view was worth the trouble, you are apt to get a funny look. Ask the climber why, then, did he climb El Cap? "Because it was there."

The funny thing, I'm one of those crazy climbers... (Not El Camp, but still...). Never looked at cooking quite this way though: When climbing pretty much the journey is the reward, when I cook I can get pretty angry at me when I make unnecessary mistakes... Something to learn maybe...

[...] the journey is the reward

If you don't believe this about cooking, then MC V5 is not for you. You have to enjoy cooking, not just eating. The tart tasted great, best onion tart I've ever had. But you can make a damned good onion tart in about 30 minutes. It's not as fun, though.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I think you got me the wrong way around... It's about the cooking AND the end result. While when climbing I can be perfectly happy with not ascending a route, I can't stand dumb mistakes that make the cooked end product worse...

I think I might skip v4 and read a little bit through v5...

Loved the parsley foraging from the winter-dead lawn.

I have been inspired by your masa and must take advantage of my local supply.

Thank you for an interesting and inspiring week!

may i ask what japanese knife I see in the Lentil series.

Id also like to find out the bagging system for the veg in the lentil dish

im very interested in learning how to remove 'flavor veg' from a SV packet.

many many thanks!

On 1330349669' post='1865851, rotuts said:

may i ask what japanese knife I see in the Lentil series.

The Inazuma Nakiri from JCK.

Id also like to find out the bagging system for the veg in the lentil dish

It's just cheesecloth: you make a big pouch of veg, stick it in with the lentils and little water, cook it, and then toss the pouch when you are done. It's basically equivalent to using a rich vegetable stock to cook the lentils in.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

wow. thanks for the info re the knife. I have so many and with the Edge-Pro I cant justify another ...

but japanese? would you get this knife again? happy with it?

every once and a while ... we fall off the ....

and Im glad I came back: never thought of the SV yolk thing.

it BookMarked!

but japanese? would you get this knife again? happy with it?

Yeah, I'm happy with it. It holds a very sharp edge for a long time (I use it exclusively on vegetables), and it's quite thin. It took some getting used to the round nose, but I've come to appreciate that, too.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Thanks, Chris for a very interesting blog. Still don't have those corn tortillas sorted but have not given up just yet!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Chris-I remember the sous vide egg we had at brunch at the Heartland Gathering this past Summer. I wasn't really a fan. I thought the white had a gummy texture and the yolk didn't have the same texture as an egg poached in water. Do you have a special technique for sous vide eggs that you feel comes close, or is better, than a traditionally poached egg?