• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Chris Hennes (2012) - Chocolate, Tamales, Modernism, etc.

Chris Hennes

Onions poached in butter for two hours? Delicious. I expect they would be pretty caramelized. Mix up a quick French Onion soup?

No, not caramelized at all, if I do it right: they are supposed to remain white, according to the recipe. And no beef stock on hand, alas. I'm trying to think of things I could fry them up with: presumably they will completely disintegrate, so that has to be OK in the dish.

I can't think of much of anything that wouldn't benefit from that. Except maybe ice cream.

Soubise, maybe?

Or I'd put it into a white sauce and make a hellacious scalloped potato casserole.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I'm just catching up on your blog after a busy week.

This is what we use for composting:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canopy-12-Liter-Oval-Step-Can-Stainless-Steel/15728015

The foot pedal means we don't have to touch the stuff while cooking but it stays closed. There is a plastic liner that can be taken out to dump the contents, and rinsed when needed. It doesn't look ugly, and it is fairly inexpensive. And since the food contacts the plastic liner not the steel, it holds up pretty well. As for our compost pile, I have horses, so everything is just incorporated into the considerable manure pile at the back of the property.

Where did you get your wok stand? It looks like something I would love to get for our patio!!!

That was great, Chris. I learned a lot from your efforts. Many thanks.

(looking forward to today's work too!)

Edited by Trev (log)

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

A question regarding the lasagne: Your Béchamel sauce seems very thick. Is that because the fresh pasta needs less liquid or do you always make it this way? I've never seen it made so paste-like.

It is a bit thicker (25% more roux) than a standard thickness bechamel, and it's also at refrigerator temperature.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org