• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Chris Hennes (2012) - Chocolate, Tamales, Modernism, etc.

Chris Hennes

Masa bag.jpg

In my experience, if you are not using fresh masa within 24-48 hours of the time it's made, it starts to develop a weird off flavor. Since I am buying it in five pound bags and am only cooking for two, it typically takes me about two weeks to use a whole bag...

You go through 5 lbs in two weeks for only two people? That's a lot of masa. How often do you cook Mexican food, and what do you usually make?

Love the tamales and the chocolates, btw.

Lunch time: since I have the car on Tuesdays, I usually go out for lunch. Today I went to Five Guys (I have a slight preference for Smashburger for this style of burger, but the nearest SB is 35 minutes away, whereas the nearest FG is five).

Five Guys aficionados will notice something conspicuously lacking from this order: there are no fries. I'm sorry, Five Guys, I simply do not care which farm those potatoes came from or what day they were dug up if you do not know how to cook them!!! I like crispy fries, and Five Guys aren't. Total deal-breaker. But I love their burgers.

I'm certainly not a fan of Five Guys. That bun looks like it was squished in the back of the bread truck.

... I used http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/SaladBowl.html for finish.

if you havent made your own cutting board before it will give you great pleasure every time you use it.

A guy in the hardware store last night recommended tung oil (over a harder-wearing tung oil blend with urethanes in it that I was buying for furniture) for cutting boards / other foodsafe apps.

I'm enjoying your blog, Chris: the chocolates most of all, so far, for me too. Good to be able to share your Eureka moment :smile:

ETA: as I've posted before, I use edible mineral oil on my own cutting board, sourced from a cosmetics supply outlet online.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

ETA: as I've posted before, I use edible mineral oil on my own cutting board, sourced from a cosmetics supply outlet online.

I was tickled to overhear a man ask for that at the drug store the other day for the same purpose. He called it "food grade mineral oil". I was in a hurry so did not have the opportunity to chat with him. He did say that it was at the recommendation of the manufacturer.

Chris - how will you be treating yours?

... I used http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/SaladBowl.html for finish.

if you havent made your own cutting board before it will give you great pleasure every time you use it.

A guy in the hardware store last night recommended tung oil (over a harder-wearing tung oil blend with urethanes in it that I was buying for furniture) for cutting boards / other foodsafe apps.

I'm enjoying your blog, Chris: the chocolates most of all, so far, for me too. Good to be able to share your Eureka moment :smile:

The only tung oil to use on items that come in contact with food is RAW tung oil.

One caveat. Tung oil is pressed from a tree nut and people who have allergies to tree nuts (walnuts, etc.), can react to foods that have been in contact with a wood surface treated with the oil. Depending on how sensitive the person is, the reaction can range from very mild to severe.

One of the volunteers at the local senior center had a severe reaction after using knives with wood handles that had been treated with tung oil. She has a severe allergy to walnuts, pecans, chestnuts, filberts &etc. I was called to fill in for her after she was hauled off to the ER. This was just before Thanksgiving last year so it is fresh in my mind.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I am thoroughly enjoying this, Chris - so glad to see you blogging. I am in awe at your chocolates. One of my 'retirement' projects is supposed to be learning how to temper chocolate, but I can't imagine getting something that perfect! I'm glad to see someone else who likes their smooth-top range. I love mine and can't imagine trading it for anything else. I always feel like I have to justify my love, though!

You have an upstairs kitchen? What are the pros and cons?

No, actually: my house is a single level (no basement, even).

That sloping part of your kitchen ceiling made me think it upstairs. I'm all for barrier-free kitchens.

Stopped making my own cutting boards when kiln-dried anything hardwood became much, much more expensive than the HomeSense clearance bin. I do like some unadulterated wood slabs for chopping and cooking.

Your photos are quite amazing, thanks.

No basement? Where do you go in a tornado?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

There are tornado shelters in the bigger cities, Peter or you can have a hidey hole built in your yard or a safe room in the house.

We hide under our house since it is about 4 feet off the ground and has concrete footings.

There are tornado shelters in the bigger cities, Peter or you can have a hidey hole built in your yard or a safe room in the house.

We hide under our house since it is about 4 feet off the ground and has concrete footings.

Interesting. So, do people keep cans and other foodstuffs in these shelters?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

You go through 5 lbs in two weeks for only two people? That's a lot of masa. How often do you cook Mexican food, and what do you usually make?

I typically only buy fresh masa when I am about to embark on a couple of weeks of Mexican cooking, which usually involves a batch or two of tamales. So I make a bunch of tamales and then freeze them. But of course I also make a few dozen tortillas over the course of the week, etc.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Mineral oil. I should note that the idea of a "food grade varnish" is absurd: regardless of the blend, once it's cured, it's inert. Period. "Food safe varnish" is just an expensive label, it's ALL food safe. This includes all of the varnishes with metallic dryers, etc.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

No basement? Where do you go in a tornado?

I have a shelter: considerably safer than a basement, but also considerably more cramped! And no, I do not store anything down there except our emergency kit. I think the foodstuffs amount to some granola bars and some bottles of water.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

For dinner tonight we went to a local favorite, Benvenuti's. As I refuse to be one of those people taking flash photography in a restaurant I'm afraid I have no images for you. In addition to a bottle of Spanish red (Rivola, Sardon de Duero, 2008) I had a Caesar salad and the Risotto Verdure (which contains more vegetables than rice, I think: I love it). Back to cooking tomorrow, I promise. Tuesdays are busy!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I'm certainly not a fan of Five Guys. That bun looks like it was squished in the back of the bread truck.

David, I for one absolutely require soft rolls for burgers, fast food or homemade. I despise those "artisanal" pieces of crap some places insist on using that completely overwhelm the burger (in addition to making it harder to eat!).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Interesting. So, do people keep cans and other foodstuffs in these shelters?

Just water, flashlights, pillows and sleeping bags. I have to stress that in ten years here, we haven't had to hide out ever. We've prepared, but not had to go in.

Right: it really doesn't bother me if there are others in the restaurant taking (non-flash) photos, but I feel very conspicuous when it's someone at my table. And I really, really hate when it's me. Even at Five Guys today I tried to be all surreptitious with my cell phone shots.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Food doesn't move so I've always found if you bring a tripod, you can let it take as long an exposure as it needs to get the image. Some especially dark restaurants, it takes 5 seconds to take a shot but the picture comes out great. Another tip is that at restaurants, I always set it to a 1 second delay. That way, you can remove your finger and the camera will be rock steady the entire time.

PS: I am a guy.

David, I for one absolutely require soft rolls for burgers, fast food or homemade. I despise those "artisanal" pieces of crap some places insist on using that completely overwhelm the burger (in addition to making it harder to eat!).

I too like a soft roll, but I don't just want it squished on top of the burger. A requirement in my kitchen, which restaurants and fast food joints rarely do, is to butter the bun and toast it first. That way I get a soft bun with a buttery, toasted side next to the burger. I do agree with you on the artisanal breads, too hard in most cases and far too large for the burger.

Good morning, and welcome to a day of cooking. Lots on today's schedule, though most of it is prep for tomorrow's and Friday's dinners. I have a class to attend at 7pm Wednesdays, so we eat dinner a little earlier than normal, which usually means something quick to prepare. Tonight I'm making a couple stir-fries from a Fuchsia Dunlop book. Tomorrow is a lasagna al forno, so I'm making the bolognese today, and Friday is some crazy Modernist concoction that requires onion juice, which suspect is going to take some time to filter, since I don't have a centrifuge!

But to start, of course, breakfast, going old-school with the 2005 eG mug:

Wednesday Coffee.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Mineral oil. I should note that the idea of a "food grade varnish" is absurd: regardless of the blend, once it's cured, it's inert. Period. "Food safe varnish" is just an expensive label, it's ALL food safe. This includes all of the varnishes with metallic dryers, etc.

That's all I have ever used and I have a lot of butcher block counter tops, many wood cutting boards and chopping blocks and wood bowls, spoons and dough troughs. Mineral oil has never developed a gummy surface and it never gets rancid - as any oil from an organic source can.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I am 100% with you... Focacia Rolls & Ciabatta Rolls on burgers have to rank right up there with Taco Bell abominations at the official Worst Food Ideas Hall of Shame