• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried rice: frying the rice or just reheating?

Shalmanese

The way I've always done fried rice at home is that the rice spends a significant time alone in the pan so that it's a mixture of tender and crisp. Recently, I've been looking at fried rice recipes and most of them have you cook the rice for just 30 seconds to a minute just to warm through including Irene Kuo (Barbara Tropp says 2 - 3 minutes).

Which do you do? Do you just reheat the rice or do you try and actually get it fried?

PS: I am a guy.

Fried rice should definitely be fried! Like almost anything cooked in a wok, you need a furnace. The best fried rice should have each grain of rice individual, rather than clumped - and each grain should have a slight char. I know most people advocate using day old rice in the fridge, but my preferred method is to toast the uncooked rice with a bit of oil first - similar to tostatura with risotto. This helps keep the grains seperate when steamed, and helps the grains seperate when fried. It also helps with the "wok hei".

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

How about the fact that 'old' rice can be quite bad for you.

It is an excellent growing medium for bacteria.

Personally I go for a red hot wok, toss in the oil,

then cast the rice in to the inferno, get it well heated,

which will make it safe.

It is already cooked, but we also want the Wok-Hei as Kieth-W

describes.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I fry it, too. And somewhere along the way (don't remember exactly where; I lived in both the Philippines and Hong Kong), I was taught to stir in a beaten egg right before it's time to plate it up. I definitely have to stir it and fry it long enough to get that egg to coat everything and cook.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I've been to many banquets where the fried rice is more tossed than fried. I don't know if that's a function of having to prepare a large amount of fried rice at one time or rather a desire to have a more "clean" tasting rice.

I'm in the frying rather than heating camp here. The best version of fried rice ever was at Ding Tai Feng in Taipei: each grain was given a wisp of egg coating (sort of like what Jaymes mentioned) so that every bit of rice had a range of texture and flavor. The barest amount of oil was used, and tiny pink shrimp dotted the landscape. It was a revelation.

@MadameHuang & madamehuang.com & ZesterDaily.com

Sometimes I stir in beaten egg at the end, sometimes not.

I'm pretty sure it's a regional thing. But I've forgotten which region.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I swear by Mark Bittman's fried rice recipe/technique in How To Cook Everything. It's for the most part a reheat, but you do fry long enough you get some crispy bits.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Interestinly, just made it yesterday for husband's lunch. Had to pull out a book to re-enforce "how to". Was told to fry the cooked rice, then add separately scrambled egg and top with green onion. Worked quite well.

Yes. I usually do both - add strips of scrambled egg 'omlet' and the beaten egg at the penultimate moment. Probably don't need to do both, but I do. Just habit I guess.