• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amateur Mixing at the School Fundraiser

Yojimbo

I've been asked to do a "special cocktail" for my daughter's school fundraiser next month. Last year I did a variant on the Last Word, subbing St. Germaine for the Chartreuse and topping it with green tea to avoid slaying people before they bid at the auction. This year I impanelled a jury to test a few recipes, they chose a spin on the Red Hook with Cio Ciaro subbed for half of the vermouth, which puts it near to a Brooklyn Cocktail a la Spliflicator. Speaking geographically, halfway between Red Hook and Splif's neighborhood is probably somewhere in the Gowanus Canal, which may suggest a name . . .

Anyway, how can I streamline the mixing process, while still preserving some of the fun (for me and the guests) of having the drink made in front of them? Do I mix to order so as to show off my dubious skill with jigger and strainer, or do I batch the whole thing beforehand, pour it in a glass and drop in the twist?

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

I'd batch it and stir with ice to order, in a pitcher. Even executing one drink like this can be overwhelming for one person if they're not experienced, so take every advantage you can get. And it will also prevent special orders when people see the individual bottles you have, which would just slow you down.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

You could perhaps batch all but one ingredient (maybe the Cio Ciaro) followed by the twist so that it looks like you are mixing something and the Cio Ciaro probably looks a bit exotic to most people I would think and that way perhaps strike a balance between ease and a bit of "flair".

Not sure if or how that might effect the drink. No doubt some testing would be in order!

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Actually, there already is a Gowanus cocktail, from Bar Tano in the Gowanus neighborhood.

That said, I have to agree with thirtyoneknots; batch it all up, and make the show of stirring them in pitchers and garnishing the drinks individually.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?